Posts in tar sands
- In a hard hitting opinion piece in the Guardian today, Bill McKibben doesn’t mince words when it comes to Canada’s Prime Minister. Everyone seems to love Justin Trudeau. Charismatic, young, and rhetorically committed to a suite of progressive issues – compared to his counterpart to the south, he has a lot going for him. But,...
Continue reading 'Telling it like it is: the numbers behind Justin Trudeau’s climate failure'.
- For those fighting the KXL pipeline, there are important lessons to learn from recent events. First that Trump is defeatible. The man who has made a career of being an Alpha-male bully in business is now finding the reality of politics very different.
- "Keystone XL has been seen as inevitable before, but we persisted and won. This isn’t game over, it’s game on. Now we have a President who is deeply beholden to the oil industry and will do anything they ask, so this approval is no surprise."
- As we await the photo-op of Keystone XL approval from the Trump Administration, here's a compilation of a few of our "best hits" for why Keystone XL must not be built.
- Oil majors are dumping Canada’s tar sands assets and investors are walking away from new projects. It’s the latest sign that the massive expansion the industry planned at the start of this decade is quickly falling apart. Canada’s status as one of the highest cost, highest carbon sources of oil is hurting the industry and...
Continue reading 'A fading future for the tar sands'.
- Activists rallied at the Canadian Embassy during Trudeau’s first visit to D.C. – the PM has said he wants to “work with” Trump to construct Keystone XL.
- We know that Justin and Barack had a budding bromance, which came to an abrupt end when Trump took office. Like any friend would say to someone getting over a break-up, our message to Justin is: Don't let Donald be your rebound. It won’t end well. Donald is no Barack.
- Yesterday the trial opened of Ken Ward, a climate activist and co-founder of the Climate Disobedience Center, who risks spending 30 years in prison for shutting down a pipeline carrying tar sands crude last October.
- As we enter Trump’s second full week in office, one thing has become extremely clear: we face the most hard-line anti-environmental, anti-women, anti-LGBT, anti-immigrant, xenophobic and inherently racist administration in decades in the US.
- New research released today reveals disturbing new evidence on how locking-into new long-lived tar sands production undermines global efforts to address the global climate crisis far beyond Canada’s borders.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (1)
- Blog Posts (3,467)
- Briefings (24)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (12)
- Featured (1,264)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (7)
- Key Votes (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (514)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (129)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (68)
- Research & Opinions (35)
- Resources (43)
- Separate Oil and State (142)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence