Posts in tar sands
- One has to look no further than what is not included in these targets — the tar sands — to understand where their priorities lie.
- The unimaginable happened last night in Alberta, Canada’s oil patch province. After decades of conservative rule, the left leaning New Democratic Party (NDP) swept the election, winning a decisive majority government. I think I speak for most Canadians when I say that if you had suggested that this was a possibility a year ago, or even...
Continue reading 'Political price tag: fossil fuel fall out in Alberta'.
- A huge orange tidal wave swept through the Albertan political landscape yesterday, re-writing the history books and ripping up the decades-old political order.
- When oil prices crashed late last year, the high-cost and capital intensive tar sands sector took a hit. The industry had already been showing signs of weakness with underperforming stocks, project cancellations, and serious concerns about market access. But low oil prices have driven a whole new level of cost cutting and project delays.
- As the Albertan election heats up, the worsening economy – in large part caused by the plunge in oil prices – is taking centre stage in the province’s election campaign which comes to a head in early May.
- Any way you look at it, Teck's proposed tar sands mine, 'Frontier' is a bad investment.
- The EIA's new crude-by-rail data confirms what we always knew. That Keystone XL cannot be replaced by rail and will have a serious climate impact.
- TransCanada's proposed Energy East tar sands pipeline faces massive opposition in Canada. A large demonstration is planned in Quebec City on April 11th.
- This past Saturday, it happened again. A train carrying highly volatile crude oil, in this case tar sands crude from Alberta, derailed in Ontario and caught fire, destroying a bridge in the blaze. This is the fourth time in as many weeks an oil train has derailed and caught fire or exploded.
- New data from the EIA shows that the President was right to call Keystone XL an export pipeline.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,045)
- Briefings (11)
- Data Trends (6)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (868)
- Industry Analysis (3)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (175)
- Newsletter (9)
- Press Releases (52)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (39)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (19)
- Separate Oil and State (133)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War