Posts in tar sands
- An in-depth analysis released earlier this week by the Carbon Tracker Initiative suggests that the authors of the State Department’s Final Supplementary Environmental Impact Statement (FSEIS) for the Keystone XL pipeline even more severely underestimate the climate impact of the pipeline than initial criticisms suggest.
- Yesterday, several hundred students from over 80 colleges across the United States were arrested outside the White House as they took part in “XL Dissent” - a major demonstration against the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.
- For years there has been growing evidence that toxic chemicals from Alberta's vast tar sands tailings ponds were leaching into groundwater and the nearby Athabasca River. The tailing ponds now cover a huge area – some 176 square kilometres – and given their size it is hardly surprising that some seepage may be occurring.
- Over the last few years an increasing number of influential investors, climate scientists, analysts and activists have been arguing that we cannot afford to burn all the fossil fuel reserves due to climate change.
- As political pressure mounts in the US to lift the country’s decades-old crude oil export ban, Reuters reported yesterday that the US government has recently authorized limited re-exports of foreign crude to Europe for the first time in years. According to data the news agency obtained via Freedom of Information requests, the Department of Commerce...
Continue reading 'Will Tar Sands Soon Be on Way to Europe?'.
- The President says he understands climate and is committed to acting in the interests of posterity and not big donors. That means rejecting Keystone XL, plain and simple. The President and Secretary of State Kerry have all the information they need to reject this pipeline.
- As the European Commission continues to deliberate as to whether to adopt its landmark climate change legislation, called the Fuel Quality Directive (FQD), there is increasing evidence that planned pipelines in North America could turn Europe into a significant market for the Canadian tar sands.
- According to a report commissioned for the hearings into health impact caused by the tar sands, some local doctors are reluctant to treat patients who draw connections between the industry and their personal health problems.
- Rock legend Neil Young continued his week-long “Honor the Treaties” tour of Canada yesterday by likening the tar sands to a war zone.
- Leading scientists and American politicians are worried that the the US is trying to undermine the EU's landmark Fuel Quality Directive
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2807)
- Briefings (7)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (635)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (6)
- Press Releases (21)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (28)
- Research & Opinions (29)
- Resources (12)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (1)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War