Posts in lobbying
- There is widespread outrage in the UK this morning at the proposed “Lobbying Bill” that is being debated today in the House of Commons in London.
- Next week at the G8 meeting in Northern Ireland world leaders will focus on three main themes, summed up by 3 words beginning with T: trade, tax and transparency. But now you can add a fourth T to the list: tar sands.
- A group of British MEPs, led by Conservative Vicky Ford, have been secretly trying to “dismantle” the EU's offshore oil and gas safety regulation
- Today the House of Representatives’ Energy and Commerce committee is convening a hearing concerning “achieving North American energy independence within the next decade”. Here’s a little tip – save yourself the time and don’t bother watching the bulk of this hearing unless you want a lesson in fossil fuels public relations and willful ignorance. I’ll...
Continue reading 'Energy security hearing to be show in industry spin and willful ignorance'.
- This is a guest post from Phil Mattera, over at the always vital Dirt Digger’s Digest: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission often behaves like a watchdog with no teeth, but it has just stood up to intense pressure from big business and finally approved two rules that will shine a light on dealings between...
Continue reading 'Extraction and Disclosure'.
- In July, barring any last minute legal challenges, oil giant Shell looks set to cross the rubicon and start drilling offshore in the Arctic. Many environmentalists and indigenous communities have long fought and feared this day. Many of the veterans of the Exxon Valdez have long argued that the lessons of that disaster have still...
Continue reading 'Shell’s $4 Billion Arctic Lobby Campaign'.
- Last week, the god-father of climate science, James Hansen, who directs the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, re-iterated his warning about exploiting the tar sands in an op-ed in the New York Times. His warning was dire: “Canada’s tar sands contain twice the amount of carbon dioxide emitted by global oil use in our...
Continue reading 'Koch-ing the Climate: Exploiting the Tar Sands'.
- We have known for a long time that the Canadian government was colluding with the oil and gas industry over tar sands and its campaign against Europe’s Fuel Quality Directive (FQD). But new documents have come to light that reveal the extent of that collusion, especially between Big Oil and Natural Resources Canada, the Department...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Approved Canada’s FQD Strategy'.
- One of the dirtiest and diplomatically-brutal PR campaigns ever witnessed in Brussels has once again paid off. At the end of last week, the EU finally buckled to Canadian arm-twisting and delayed the introduction of the long awaited Fuel Quality Directive, which is designed to reduce carbon emissions from transport fuels. The European Council –...
Continue reading '“Bully-Boy Canada” Delays EU Action (Again)'.
- For over a year now I have been working on and off with Friends of the Earth Europe examining the dirty lobbying by the Canadians on the EU’s Fuel Quality Directive. Last summer we produced a report entitled “Canada’s dirty lobby diary”. The report revealed the extent of Canada’s lobbying – one of the most...
Continue reading 'Bully-Boy Canada Threatens EU (Again)'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,816)
- Briefings (45)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,626)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (857)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (227)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (97)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (82)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence