Posts in oil and gas subsidies
- The oil and gas industry makes out particularly well in the budget deal, with the vast majority of its generous subsidies preserved under the new budget. Meanwhile, support for clean energy is on the chopping block.
- A couple months ago, Oil Change International worked with Earth Track and NRDC to expose a huge loophole that allows tar sands producers to avoid paying their fair share into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund. Oil producers generally pay into this fund, but through a exemption in the tax code, tar sands oil producers...
Continue reading 'Tar sands tax loophole highlighted in two more reports'.
- In our second review of progress in meeting this phase out commitment we conclude that the G20 effort is currently failing.
- In this graphic, you can see that according to Oil Change International analysis, governments around the world are spending perhaps more than $1 trillion USD combined per year subsidizing the fossil fuel industry.
- 23 May 2012 Ahead of upcoming meetings in June of the G20 in Mexico and the United Nations Rio + 20 Summit, the pace of activity around worldwide efforts to phase out subsidy reform is quickening. Last weekend, the G8 leaders reaffirmed their commitment to phase out fossil fuel subsidies in their statement coming out...
Continue reading 'Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform Gaining Momentum Internationally'.
- This briefing finds that the transport of tar sands oil through pipelines in the United States is exempt from payments into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which creates a free ride worth over $375 million to tar sands oil producers between 2010 and 2017.
- Earlier today President Obama challenged Congress to either stand with Big Oil, or stand with the American people. A vote on legislation introduced by Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) that would have eliminated over $2.4 billion in annual tax deductions to the top 5 oil companies was subsequently defeated a few hours later. Once again Congress...
Continue reading 'Senate Fails to Cut Favors to Big Oil, Once Again'.
- You can SHARE this infographic on Facebook. What if you were in Vegas, and a friend told you there was a slot machine in the corner that was giving out $59 for every $1 that was put in? You’d think the machine was broken, and that it was rigged. What if an investment advisor told...
Continue reading 'One Dollar In, Fifty-Nine Out'.
- Development Banks Still Financing Dirty Energy New Database Reveals $40 Billion in Fossil Fuel Funding Over Last Four Years Nov. 30, 2011, Durban, South Africa – Major multilateral development banks have provided financing of over $40 billion to fossil-fuel energy development since 2008, according to the new Shift the Subsidies database (http://shiftthesubsidies.org), launched today by...
Continue reading 'Shift the Subsidies Database Reveals $40 Billion in Fossil Fuel Funding Over Last Four Years'.
- New report shows institution lacking clean energy lending strategy and instead considering a new loan for coal power in Kosovo BASIC South Initiative – Campagna per la riforma della Banca Mondiale (Italy) – Friends of the Earth U.S. – groundWork (South Africa) – International Rivers – Oil Change International – Sierra Club (U.S.) – Urgewald...
Continue reading 'Civil Society to World Bank: Clean Up Dirty Energy Financing'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,070)
- Briefings (12)
- Data Trends (7)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (892)
- Industry Analysis (8)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (195)
- Newsletter (15)
- Press Releases (54)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (41)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (21)
- Separate Oil and State (133)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War