Posts by Lorne Stockman
Tracking Emissions: The Climate Impact of the Proposed Crude-by-Rail Terminals in the Pacific NorthwestNovember 2015 Sightline Institute and Oil Change International DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT The states of Washington and Oregon are facing a quadrupling of their crude-by-rail terminal capacity to over a million barrels a day. This report examines the impact that expansion will have on unlocking carbon and thereby exacerbating climate change. MORE OIL TRAINS, MORE OIL SHIPPING Based on an...
Continue reading 'Tracking Emissions: The Climate Impact of the Proposed Crude-by-Rail Terminals in the Pacific Northwest'.
- The EIA's Reference Case forecasts show us the energy future we need to avoid for a safe climate. Yet the Obama Administration uses these forecasts as the basis for drilling in the Arctic and elsewhere on Federal Lands and the Outer Continental Shelf.
- An examination of crude-by-rail data shows that the U.S. east coast has become one of the busiest regional destinations for hazardous crude-by-rail traffic. Oil Change International used publicly available Department of Energy (EIA) data as well as subscription data from Genscape to examine the growth of crude-by-rail to one of the most densely populated areas...
Continue reading 'U.S. East Coast is key crude-by-rail destination'.
- Oil Change International- May 2015 Download Briefing The Canadian tar sands is among the most carbon-intensive, highest-cost sources of oil in the world.Even prior to the precipitous drop in global oil prices late last year, three major projects were cancelled in the sector with companies unable to chart a profitable path forward. Since the collapse...
Continue reading 'On the Edge: 1.6 million barrels per day of proposed tar sands oil on life support'.
- Just days after inadequate new safety rules from PHMSA, yet another oil train accident shows that we must stop these dangerous trains now.
- For Immediate Release May 1, 2015 Obama Administration Leaves Explosive Oil Trains on the Rails for Years Long phase-out of hazardous cars, inadequate speed limits, deficient tanker shells leave communities at risk of catastrophe Washington, D.C. — Today the Department of Transportation (DOT) released long-awaited new safety standards for rail tank cars used to haul...
Continue reading 'Obama Administration Leaves Explosive Oil Trains on the Rails for Years'.
- Any way you look at it, Teck's proposed tar sands mine, 'Frontier' is a bad investment.
- The EIA's new crude-by-rail data confirms what we always knew. That Keystone XL cannot be replaced by rail and will have a serious climate impact.
- For the sake of a mere 4% of total petroleum passing through the United States, we say stop the trains now, protect North America’s communities and build an energy system that protects the climate and our citizens from a reckless oil industry.
- New data from the EIA shows that the President was right to call Keystone XL an export pipeline.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,149)
- Briefings (16)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (6)
- Featured (974)
- Industry Analysis (16)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (264)
- Newsletter (23)
- Press Releases (70)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (49)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (27)
- Separate Oil and State (135)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War