Posts by Karen Showalter
- “I haven’t seen an issue that’s affected so many people in so many places,” Doug Shields, former member of the Pittsburgh City Council, remarked at Stop the Frack Attack rally last Saturday. And indeed, the thousands assembled on the lawn of the US Capitol Building reflected this truth. From as far as California and even...
Continue reading 'The Price of Fracking – Report Back from Stop the Frack Attack'.
- Just as the oil and gas industry buys influence on Capitol Hill and in state capitals across the country, so too can it buy friends at major universities who support its agenda. A recent Bloomberg article highlights just how close, and influential, these ties can actually be. The article details how the Marcellus Shale Coalition, a consortium...
Continue reading 'Dirty Energy Money Seeps into Academia'.
- The US House of Representatives voted on H.R.4480: the Strategic Energy Production Act earlier today. The vote passed 248-163. Once again, dirty energy money interests have prevailed. Those voting in favor of the measure have taken over $52 million from the oil, gas and coal industries since 1999, and almost $11 million in this Congress...
Continue reading 'Dirty Energy Money Buys Yet Another House Vote: H.R.4480'.
- Senators voted down a resolution aimed at gutting the EPA’s Mercury and Toxics Standards (MATS) for power plants this morning, 46-53. The 46 senators voting for this anti-science and anti-health resolution are awash in campaign contributions from the very companies that would have profited from its success. The average senator voting in favor of S.J....
Continue reading 'Senators Supporting Inhofe’s Toxic Air Resolution Mired in Dirty Energy Money'.
- The oil & gas industry has once again bought favor from Congress. The Fracturing Regulations are Effective in State Hands (FRESH) Act will remove the federal government’s authority to regulate the controversial practice of hydraulic fracturing (fracking). Introduced in the Senate in March 2012 by Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK), and in the House by Representative...
Continue reading 'Fracking “FRESH” Act Stinks of Dirty Money'.
- Those Representatives voting in favor of the inclusion of the Keystone XL pipeline in a transportation bill currently being negotiated by both chambers have taken over 11 times more money from Big Oil during this Congress - almost $6 million - than those opposed.
- The political action committees (PACs) of five of the biggest players in the oil and gas industry donated just over $500,000 to Congressional incumbents and candidates during the first quarter of 2012. Public Campaign has just released new analysis of data filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC). Some key findings: Exxon’s PAC was the biggest...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Donates over $500,000 to Congress in First Quarter of 2012'.
- Some good news: The Environmental Protection Agency issued important rules to address air pollution from natural gas drilling, primarily fracking. Less good news: Bending to pressure from Big Oil, the measures won’t go into effect until 2015. The regulations will require that new wells capture certain smog-forming compounds, as well as methane, which is a...
Continue reading 'New EPA Regs Address Fracking…in 2015'.
- Earlier today President Obama challenged Congress to either stand with Big Oil, or stand with the American people. A vote on legislation introduced by Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) that would have eliminated over $2.4 billion in annual tax deductions to the top 5 oil companies was subsequently defeated a few hours later. Once again Congress...
Continue reading 'Senate Fails to Cut Favors to Big Oil, Once Again'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,356)
- Briefings (20)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (11)
- Featured (1,163)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (416)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (104)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (60)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (36)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence