Posts by Hannah McKinnon
- A crucial victory protects the beautiful, fishing-rich islands - but Norway must stop expanding oil development everywhere. It was here that the Lofoten Declaration was written.
- High level officials from Pacific Islands have called for a reining in of fossil fuel production in order to stay within the climate limits agreed to in Paris. They were joined in their call by civil society, indigenous, and academic voices. These calls echo the asks of the Lofoten Declaration, which affirms that it is the urgent responsibility and moral obligation of wealthy fossil fuel producers to lead in these efforts.
- Rapidly phasing out coal, banning oil and gas expansion, and ending dirty international finance are required for Germany to recover its climate leadership, says new report.
Time to Stop Digging: Why Germany’s Climate Leadership Requires a Rapid Phaseout of Fossil Fuel Production and FinanceGermany is falling far short of true climate leadership – our new report details why it must end coal production swiftly with a just transition and stop funding fossil fuels aboard.
- Why we can’t hide from the discussion about a managed decline of fossil fuel production. It is clear that the end of the fossil fuel era is on the horizon. Between plummeting renewable energy costs, uncharted electric vehicle growth, government commitments to decarbonization enshrined in the Paris agreement, and a growing list of fossil fuel...
Continue reading 'What’s the plan?'.
- The Lofoten Declaration calls for no new exploration or expansion of oil, coal, or gas, and a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For a good part of the past three decades, climate action has been planned, measured, judged, and implemented based on tackling emissions where they come out of the chimney or the...
Continue reading 'The Lofoten Declaration: A new bar for climate leadership'.
- Hundreds of Global Organisations Demand Supply-Side Action The Lofoten Declaration calls for a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For the text of the declaration and a full list of signatories, visit http://www.LofotenDeclaration.org. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 7 SEPTEMBER 2017 Contact: Hannah McKinnon, hannah [at] priceofoil.org Over 220 organizations from 55 countries have released a...
Continue reading 'Countries Must Tackle Fossil Fuel Production to Meet Climate Goals'.
- Unprecedented and “never-before-seen” impacts of climate change are all around us. From Hurricanes’ Harvey and Irma to massive flooding in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal to forest fires burning through the west coast of North America – climate change is here and now, and it is catastrophic. Fortunately, unprecedented and never-before-seen climate policy is also starting...
Continue reading 'Vive la France!'.
Nobel Peace Laureates call on Norwegian Leadership Candidates to End Fossil Fuel Exploration and ExpansionAugust 29, 2017 CONTACT: Rachel Vincent, Rvincent [at] nobelwomensinitiative.org, +1 613 569-8400 ext. 113 Five Nobel Peace Laureates have written to Norwegian Prime Ministerial candidates, Erna Solberg and Jonas Gahr Støre, calling for Norwegian climate leadership and an end to fossil fuel exploration and expansion. The letter, sent from the Nobel Women’s Initiative in advance...
Continue reading 'Nobel Peace Laureates call on Norwegian Leadership Candidates to End Fossil Fuel Exploration and Expansion'.
- Five Nobel Peace Laureates have called on Norwegian Prime Ministerial candidates to declare their intent to put an end to fossil fuel exploration and expansion. The letter, sent in advance of the country’s national elections in mid-September, is an appeal for climate leadership. But, they are also the world’s seventh largest exporter of emissions. Their...
Continue reading 'A Nobel Appeal to Norway'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,667)
- Briefings (40)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,474)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (716)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (196)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (87)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence