Posts by Hannah McKinnon
- The letter calls on Brown and the state "to become the first major fossil fuel producer to begin a managed and just transition off oil and gas production."
- Tackling fossil fuel production at the UN Today, a pair of declarations representing close to 500 organizations and 140 leading economists respectively were submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) calling on countries and the process to address fossil fuel production and financing as a critical way of increasing ambition and...
Continue reading 'When you are in a hole…'.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- A crucial victory protects the beautiful, fishing-rich islands - but Norway must stop expanding oil development everywhere. It was here that the Lofoten Declaration was written.
- High level officials from Pacific Islands have called for a reining in of fossil fuel production in order to stay within the climate limits agreed to in Paris. They were joined in their call by civil society, indigenous, and academic voices. These calls echo the asks of the Lofoten Declaration, which affirms that it is the urgent responsibility and moral obligation of wealthy fossil fuel producers to lead in these efforts.
- Rapidly phasing out coal, banning oil and gas expansion, and ending dirty international finance are required for Germany to recover its climate leadership, says new report.
Time to Stop Digging: Why Germany’s Climate Leadership Requires a Rapid Phaseout of Fossil Fuel Production and FinanceGermany is falling far short of true climate leadership – our new report details why it must end coal production swiftly with a just transition and stop funding fossil fuels aboard.
- Why we can’t hide from the discussion about a managed decline of fossil fuel production. It is clear that the end of the fossil fuel era is on the horizon. Between plummeting renewable energy costs, uncharted electric vehicle growth, government commitments to decarbonization enshrined in the Paris agreement, and a growing list of fossil fuel...
Continue reading 'What’s the plan?'.
- The Lofoten Declaration calls for no new exploration or expansion of oil, coal, or gas, and a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For a good part of the past three decades, climate action has been planned, measured, judged, and implemented based on tackling emissions where they come out of the chimney or the...
Continue reading 'The Lofoten Declaration: A new bar for climate leadership'.
- Hundreds of Global Organisations Demand Supply-Side Action The Lofoten Declaration calls for a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For the text of the declaration and a full list of signatories, visit http://www.LofotenDeclaration.org. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 7 SEPTEMBER 2017 Contact: Hannah McKinnon, hannah [at] priceofoil.org Over 220 organizations from 55 countries have released a...
Continue reading 'Countries Must Tackle Fossil Fuel Production to Meet Climate Goals'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,760)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (16)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,565)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (800)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (215)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (93)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (77)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence