Posts in SUVs
- “The typical American male devotes more than 1,000 hours a year to his car”, so wrote the Austrian philosopher Ivan Illich way back in 1974.
- If you thought that growing awareness about climate change, coupled with years of austerity and recession, would mean that European drivers would be buying small fuel efficient cars, you would be wrong.
- It is pretty hard nowadays to pass a gas station and not notice the plummeting price. Fuel prices have been falling so persistently that it appears that Americans have rediscovered their taste for gas guzzlers.
- I wonder how Main-Street feels about this one. Even though millions of Americans are already outraged over bailing out Wall Street, they are now being asked to bail out Detroit too. Later this morning expect dismal third-quarter results from GM and Ford, estimated at $2 billion each, which will probably plunge the markets even deeper...
Continue reading 'The $50 Billion Bail-Out'.
- Are the days of the SUV and large gas-guzzlers over? The New York Times reports how “Soaring gas prices have turned the steady migration by Americans to smaller cars into a stampede.” According to the Times: “In what industry analysts are calling a first, about one in five vehicles sold in the United States was...
Continue reading 'RIP the SUV …'.
- Now its getting silly. The American motor industry’s rush to greenwash its products has now even affected the Hummer, with GM announcing yesterday an ethanol-powered version of the military-style vehicle. General Motors kicked off the Detroit motor show by revealing biofuel-propelled prototypes of a Hummer, even though the car does just 16 litres per 100km...
Continue reading 'A “Green Hummer” – you are having a laugh…'.
- General Motors is to give drivers the chance to try out hydrogen-powered vehicles, although it will help if you are a celebrity. As part of “Project Driveway“, GM will put more than 100 fuel-cell vehicles in the hands of customers before the end of the year. Ironically, the cars will be based on the Chevrolet...
Continue reading 'GM to Test-Drive Fuel-Cell Cars'.
- London’s Mayor, Ken Livinstone will announce radical plans to slash London’s carbon emissions by 60% within 20 years. Livingstone wants a quarter of London’s electricity supply to be shifted from the national grid to local combined heat-and-power systems by 2025.
- Gas-guzzling SUVs or sports cars as well as people carriers could be “priced off the road within five years”, according to the Daily Telegraph after a crackdown on carbon emissions to be announced by the European Commission. The average new car in 2012 will have to emit no more than 120 grams of carbon per...
Continue reading 'EU Targets Gas Guzzlers'.
- Gas-guzzling “Chelsea Tractors” or SUVs have suffered a sudden decline in sales after a succession of threatened tax rises, The Times reports today. Existing owners of 4x4s are facing substantial losses because the second-hand value of the vehicles has also dropped significantly. Sales of new 4x4s fell by more than 15 per cent last month...
Continue reading 'Chelsea Tractors in Decline'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,775)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,579)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (814)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (216)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (93)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (77)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence