Posts in Climate Change
- In the end the vote was agonisingly close, but Big Oil’s buddies in the Senate fell at the final hurdle in their attempt to approve the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.
- One step forward - two steps back or two steps forward one step back? It’s been a topsy turvy couple of weeks as far as the climate is concerned. We have had the Republicans gaining control of both sides of the House and Obama pulling a climate rabbit out of the hat with the US-China deal.
- A new report by the Overseas Development Institute and Oil Change International has found that governments are still spending a whopping $88 billion every year supporting fossil fuel exploration.
- The "clock is ticking". "Little time left". The "Starkest Warning Yet". The "Final Warning". Just four of the headlines from around the world of yesterday's UN report on climate change.
- Slowly but surely the world’s banks are waking up to the dangers of climate change and the idea that carrying on investing in fossil fuels might be a risky and reckless idea.
- Early this morning, the 28 EU leaders agreed in principle to set a landmark deal to reduce CO2 emissions by 40 per cent from 1990 levels by 2030.
- The oil industry and its allies are used to dismissing those who are warning about climate change as a bunch of lentil-eating, sandal-wearing commies. But over the last few months we have seen a growing number of authoritative voices calling for fossil fuel disinvestment, with a growing number of institutional investors actually saying they will disinvest from fossil fuels.
- A proposal to label the dirty tar sands as more polluting than conventional oil has been spectacularly abandoned by the European Commission after a four year lobbying campaign by the Canadians.
- The actor Leonardo DiCaprio was one of a number of people to address the United Nations Climate Summit yesterday, urging them to take action to address "the greatest challenge of our existence on this planet."
- Yesterday was day two of the dynamic and energised protests against climate change in New York which saw several thousand activists take part in “Flood Wall Street.”
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,938)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (769)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (97)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (37)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (129)
- Subsidy Spotlight (5)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War