Posts by Steve Kretzmann
- Keystone XL got rejected, the oil industry is sad, and they want you to make it up to them – to the tune of over $15 billion (yes, that’s billion, with a “b”). Late Wednesday, TransCanada, the company behind the Keystone XL pipeline, kicked off two legal challenges: one is a federal lawsuit claiming that...
Continue reading 'TransCanada Sues U.S. Taxpayers, Scores Oil Industry Own Goal'.
- Over the past week, virtually every article on the President’s trip to Alaska to highlight the impacts of climate change, has in the next breath mentioned the President’s approval of Shell’s arctic drilling. The allegation made vocally by the environmental community is that these two things are deeply contradictory, and blatantly hypocritical. It’s an allegation...
Continue reading 'A Convenient Lie: Why Fossil Fuel Supply Matters for the Climate'.
- This week is the anniversary of Oil Change International’s founding. Ten years ago, when the organization started, I was thinking about what had happened ten years before that, when Shell killed a friend of mine in Nigeria. That friend, an extraordinary man named Ken Saro-Wiwa, was framed for a crime he didn’t commit, and hanged...
Continue reading 'Ten Years of Data Driven and People Powered Change'.
- Despite repeated calls for urgent action on climate change, the World Bank Group increased funding for fossil fuels in its last fiscal year. The World Bank’s increase in fossil fuel finance is especially disappointing as 2014 was the first full fiscal year following the World Bank’s commitment to limit coal financing due to climate concerns.
- Wonder why Keystone XL is the #1 priority for the new congress? You're not alone. The answer is money. Read our in-depth analysis.
- Polluting Our Democracy and Our Environment: Dirty Fuels Money in Politics Oil Change International and Sierra Club April 2014 A new report by Oil Change International and the Sierra Club, Polluting Our Democracy and Our Environment: Dirty Fuels Money in Politics, demonstrates the enormous amount of campaign finance contributions pouring into Congress by the...
Continue reading 'Polluting Our Democracy and Our Environment: Dirty Fuels Money in Politics'.
- An in-depth analysis released earlier this week by the Carbon Tracker Initiative suggests that the authors of the State Department’s Final Supplementary Environmental Impact Statement (FSEIS) for the Keystone XL pipeline even more severely underestimate the climate impact of the pipeline than initial criticisms suggest.
- In 2009, President Obama made a commitment to reduce U.S. greenhouse gases by 17 percent by 2020. The Obama administration put this forward as the U.S. share of a global effort to limit climate change to no more than two degrees Celsius – the target scientists tell us may be safe. Achieving this target, which...
Continue reading 'Kerry’s State Department Ignored Obama’s Climate Action Plan'.
- According to multiple sources the State Department will issue its long awaited Final Environmental Impact Statement on the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline later today. The early spin today is that “environmentalists will be disappointed”. But consider the source. Last week, Jack Gerard, the head of the American Petroleum Institute, told Reuters that “It’s our...
Continue reading 'What did Big Oil know and when did they know it?'.
- Alabama coal baron and conservative activist Shaun McCutcheon doesn’t feel that $123,200 buys him enough influence in DC. He wants a Citizens United 2.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,286)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,097)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (369)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (92)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (58)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (31)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence