Posts by Steve Kretzmann
- We stand with the students and community of Charlottesville as they stand up to fascism and fight white supremacy. Today and every day, we are committed to fighting for a more just and equitable world for all.
- After that paranoid, delusional babble in the Koch-sponsored Rose Garden last week, Trump has united and energized the global climate movement like never before. The critical question is this: How do we build more political power, and how do we win?
- These are dizzying days. Our best advice is to stay woke, and pay attention. As we prepare for a day that will revolve around Trump’s Rose Garden speech to Make America Guzzle&Gush Again, it is worth taking a moment to focus on the amazing events in the background over the last few days: Kinder Morgan’s...
Continue reading 'When will Exxon will be worthless? Not if.'.
- "Our movement has real power because it is based on people, and nothing about last night changes that."
- Today was supposed to be the official launch of the Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) Annual Energy Outlook (AEO). Just a few hours ago the EIA's site stated that it would be released today, but apparently among the things that EIA can't predict is the launch date for it's big annual report. When it is published, now supposedly at the "end of July", this report should contain the kind of hard data that energy regulators and investors desperately need to gain an accurate picture of energy in the United States today, and for the next 50 years. Except it won’t.
- The appalling video footage showing the brutal executions of yet two more black men at the hands of law enforcement reminds us in the worst way of the importance of saying, reaffirming and ensuring that #BlackLivesMatter in our society.
- Keystone XL got rejected, the oil industry is sad, and they want you to make it up to them – to the tune of over $15 billion (yes, that’s billion, with a “b”). Late Wednesday, TransCanada, the company behind the Keystone XL pipeline, kicked off two legal challenges: one is a federal lawsuit claiming that...
Continue reading 'TransCanada Sues U.S. Taxpayers, Scores Oil Industry Own Goal'.
- Over the past week, virtually every article on the President’s trip to Alaska to highlight the impacts of climate change, has in the next breath mentioned the President’s approval of Shell’s arctic drilling. The allegation made vocally by the environmental community is that these two things are deeply contradictory, and blatantly hypocritical. It’s an allegation...
Continue reading 'A Convenient Lie: Why Fossil Fuel Supply Matters for the Climate'.
- This week is the anniversary of Oil Change International’s founding. Ten years ago, when the organization started, I was thinking about what had happened ten years before that, when Shell killed a friend of mine in Nigeria. That friend, an extraordinary man named Ken Saro-Wiwa, was framed for a crime he didn’t commit, and hanged...
Continue reading 'Ten Years of Data Driven and People Powered Change'.
- Despite repeated calls for urgent action on climate change, the World Bank Group increased funding for fossil fuels in its last fiscal year. The World Bank’s increase in fossil fuel finance is especially disappointing as 2014 was the first full fiscal year following the World Bank’s commitment to limit coal financing due to climate concerns.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,542)
- Briefings (31)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (13)
- Featured (1,336)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (589)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (153)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (75)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (54)
- Separate Oil and State (142)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence