Posts by Hannah McKinnon
- Five Nobel Peace Laureates have called on Norwegian Prime Ministerial candidates to declare their intent to put an end to fossil fuel exploration and expansion. The letter, sent in advance of the country’s national elections in mid-September, is an appeal for climate leadership. But, they are also the world’s seventh largest exporter of emissions. Their...
Continue reading 'A Nobel Appeal to Norway'.
- Norway’s plans for fossil fuel development are at odds with its commitments to the Paris climate goals according to a new report. In addition to being the world’s seventh largest emissions exporter, projected oil and gas development in the country are incompatible with global carbon budgets aligned with limiting global warming to 2 degrees Celsius or 1.5 degrees Celsius.
The Sky’s Limit Norway: Why Norway Should Lead the Way in a Managed Decline of Oil and Gas ExtractionA new study released by Oil Change International, examines the role of Norwegian oil and gas production in a Paris-aligned global carbon budget.
- In a dramatic turn of events, it looks like all bust and no more boom for the Alberta tar sands, according to our recent analysis based on industry data. In reality, future rates of production will likely be insufficient to fill even one new pipeline.
- The oil industry's own data shows that the tar sands are on the edge of decline – but the key question is if they will take everyone else down with them.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 29, 2017 CONTACT Lorne Stockman, lorne [at] priceofoil.org, +1 540 679 1097 Adam Scott, adam [at] priceofoil.org, +1 416 347 3858 Data driven reality check points to end of growth in the tar sands. A new briefing released today points to a dramatic drop-off in investment in growth in the tar...
Continue reading 'RELEASE: Data driven reality check points to end of growth in the tar sands'.
- Oil Change International June 2017 Download the PDF Briefing. The Alberta tar sands are among the world’s largest oil reserves. While investment and expected growth in the industry have been high for the last decade, new industry data paints a dramatically different picture of the sector moving forward. Key findings: Anticipated tar sands production growth is...
Continue reading 'Reality Check: The End of Growth in the Tar Sands'.
- Canada doesn’t have its story straight on climate change – which makes it all the more important to push the country to be the real climate leader we need.
- Have you ever stopped to think about the moments that we were on the brink of something big? Something that we look back on and find it hard to imagine how it used to be? Cell phones are a good example, or smart phones – the iPhone has only been around since 2007. The internet...
Continue reading 'A dangerous calculus'.
Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transitionApril 7, 2016 For Immediate Release New pipelines from the Alberta to tidewater would do nothing to help Canada’s oil industry cope with low oil prices. Contrary to assertions made by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers today and Natural Resources Minister Carr on Tuesday in interviews, there is no longer a sound economic argument...
Continue reading 'Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transition'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,702)
- Briefings (42)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,508)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (746)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (202)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (88)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence