Posts in oil tankers
- Oil from the stricken oil tanker, the Sanchi, which exploded and sank in the East China Sea, may have now reached the shores of Japan, according to the country’s Coast Guard.
- Stunned. Outraged. Bewildered. Sickened. Saddened. Hurt. These are just some of responses in Alaska to the news that the US Supreme Court had slashed punitive damages against Exxon for the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill from $2.5 billion to $500 million. Meanwhile the champagne corks will have been popping at Exxon’s HQ, after it was ordered...
Continue reading 'The Day that Justice Died..'.
- When the Exxon Valdez ploughed into Bligh Reef in 1989 causing one of the greatest environmental crimes of the last century, I remember someone saying “lawyers not yet born will work on this one”. And so that prediction has nearly come to pass. Five years after the spill a federal jury in Alaska ordered Exxon...
Continue reading 'Exxon Valdez: “Its time for closure”'.
- Thousands of people hit by South Korea’s worst oil spill have staged a protest rally in central Seoul to demand swift compensation. Some 3000 marine farmers and other residents dramatised their plight by displaying oil-coated oysters, fish, anchovies and seaweed.
- In a ruling that could set a precedent for responsibility in maritime pollution, a French court ruled yesterday that the oil company Total was partly liable for the vast spill in 1999 from the tanker Erika, that blackened the Brittany coast with fuel oil even though the company did not own the ship. The court...
Continue reading 'French Court Fines Total for 1999 Spill'.
- The world’s media may have moved on for the site of another oil spill, and the beaches may be clean on the surface, but a month after South Korea’s worst oil spill, residents are struggling to pick up their shattered lives. Last week a young fisherman Lee Young-kwon killed himself by drinking pesticide in despair...
Continue reading 'A young fisherman kills himself in despair…'.
- A report by US watch-dog, the Government Accountability Office has concluded that the Coast Guard lacks the resources to adequately protect tankers carrying liquefied petroleum or crude oil from a possible terrorist attack. The report concluded that the Coast Guard is stretched too thin in some cases “to meet its own self-imposed security standards such...
Continue reading 'LNG Tankers Vulnerable to Terror Attack'.
- Happy Christmas Alaska. Exxon’s present to those desperate for compensation from the Exxon Valdez oil spill is its new defence in the U.S. Supreme Court that the $2.5 billion verdict the company was ordered to pay conflicts with more than 200 years of maritime law. Exxon is now arguing that trial and appellate courts erred...
Continue reading 'Exxon’s Xmas Gift to Alaska'.
- This is getting silly. There has been yet another oil spill. Rescuers are trying to contain an oil slick from a small tanker that capsized at a port in central Indonesia yesterday, after it was loaded up with more than 4,000 barrels of fuel. It is not immediately clear how much oil had leaked from...
Continue reading 'Another Oil Spill – This Time in Indonesia'.
- Are the Iraqis gearing up for a major oil export drive? They have just launched their first new ship in 27 years and delivery of two more tankers is expected within three months. The Dijlah — the name for the Tigris River in Arabic — was inaugurated in the southern port city of Basra on...
Continue reading 'Iraq Launches 1st Tanker in 27 Years'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,783)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,589)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (823)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (220)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (94)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (79)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence