Posts by Andy Rowell
- It’s a not so Happy Halloween if you live near fracking wells in the United States. Yet more research has been published which shows significant evidence of the risk to health.
- Slowly but surely the world’s banks are waking up to the dangers of climate change and the idea that carrying on investing in fossil fuels might be a risky and reckless idea.
- The growing political fight over relaxing America’s decades-old crude export ban intensified at the end of last week, when 14 oil and gas firms set up a lobbying group specifically to push to relax the ban.
- Early this morning, the 28 EU leaders agreed in principle to set a landmark deal to reduce CO2 emissions by 40 per cent from 1990 levels by 2030.
- Often the way a state reacts to those protesting against it tells you a great deal about its moral fabric and values.
- For years the oil industry has been lobbying tirelessly to overturn the US crude export ban as domestic production increases on the back of the fracking revolution.
- In a case that will be watched keenly worldwide, a Canadian Federal Court will today start reviewing the approval last December of the expansion of Shell’s controversial Jackpine tar sands mine in Alberta.
- The oil industry and its allies are used to dismissing those who are warning about climate change as a bunch of lentil-eating, sandal-wearing commies. But over the last few months we have seen a growing number of authoritative voices calling for fossil fuel disinvestment, with a growing number of institutional investors actually saying they will disinvest from fossil fuels.
- Despite an EU commitment to phase out fossil fuel subsidies by 2020, countries across Europe are still subsidising dirty coal boy over €10 billion a year, according to new figures released by the European Commission today.
- A proposal to label the dirty tar sands as more polluting than conventional oil has been spectacularly abandoned by the European Commission after a four year lobbying campaign by the Canadians.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,926)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (757)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (88)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (36)
- Research & Opinions (30)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (128)
- Subsidy Spotlight (5)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War