Nine Chinese oil workers abducted last month by militant youths in the Niger Delta were released yesterday.
The men were kidnapped on January 25 in a raid on the offices of the China National Petroleum Corporation which was doing a seismic study in the Sagbama area of Bayelsa state for Shell. One attacker was killed in the incident.
“The nine Chinese workers were unconditionally released and they are all in good health. No ransom was paid,” a spokesman for Bayelsa state government said. China’s Foreign Ministry said the men were released early on Sunday and are expected to return home in the near future.
Militant youths have vowed to target increased Chinese investment in Nigeria. So it looks like there will be trouble ahead.