Oil Change International is hiring a Domestic Campaigner. Please see below for the job description and application instructions.
Position title: Domestic Campaigner
Location: San Francisco Bay area or Washington, DC preferred (other locations could be possible with the right candidate)
Reports to: Campaigns Director
Target start date: As soon as possible. Position is open until filled.
About Oil Change International:
Oil Change International is a non-profit organization that campaigns to expose the true costs of fossil fuels and facilitate the coming transition towards clean energy. We’re a small, gutsy group that wages hard-hitting campaigns, grounded in solid and credible research, to push the energy industry towards an environmentally and socially sustainable future. We work together with a broad network of allies, in the United States and globally, that are committed to identifying and overcoming political barriers to a clean energy transition and shifting the balance of power in the energy industry.
Oil Change’s work is based on well-researched analysis of the fossil fuel industry and government policies relating to fossil fuels and clean energy. Domestically, we are focused on the Separation of Oil and State by exposing and ending the cycle of dirty energy money lining the halls of our government from the fossil fuel industry and going back out again in the form of fossil fuel subsidies. Complementary to these efforts, Oil Change also conducts corporate and policy research on the fossil fuel industry, providing hard-hitting information and campaign materials to the broader community. Internationally, we work to expose and end the massive public support going towards the fossil fuel industry as well.
Founded in 2005, Oil Change International now has more than 100,000 supporters, a creative, passionate and dedicated staff of five, and a team of dozens more. Known both for our credible, insightful research on the fossil fuel industry and our aggressive nonviolent campaign tactics, Oil Change is a talented group that continues to punch above its weight. If you think you have what it takes to take on the world’s most powerful industry and win, read on.
About the Position:
Oil Change International is seeking an experienced, energetic, detail-oriented self-starter to join us as a Domestic Campaigner. This person will work as part of our domestic campaign team, focusing largely (but not exclusively) on exposing the corrupt relationship between campaign finance (money into government from the fossil fuel industry) and subsidies (money from government to the fossil fuel industry), developing and undertaking campaign activities, producing campaign materials, representing Oil Change at coalition events, and undertaking campaign-related research tasks as necessary.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Campaigns Director, Executive Director and other staff to develop and implement campaign strategies for the campaign to Separate Oil and State;
- Track and analyze developments relating to campaign finance on the one hand and fossil fuel subsidies on the other, in order to identify campaign and/or public engagement opportunities;
- Research and develop campaign materials on subsidies to the fossil fuel industry;
- Coordinate with grasstops groups around campaign finance and fossil fuel subsidy reform;
- Develop and cultivate champions to stand up against Dirty Energy Money and move towards eliminating fossil fuel subsidies;
- Contribute towards research, data collection and maintenance to assist in organizational efforts to track the fossil fuel industry;
- Undertake online outreach through new media tools (websites, e-activism, social media) to communicate with, educate and activate target audiences;
- Identify new ways of engaging Oil Change’s rapidly expanding supporter email list; and
- Conduct media outreach, including writing press releases, making pitch calls, and responding to media inquiries.
- College degree or equivalent experience in energy, environmental studies, public policy, or related field
- 2 to 4 years of experience in campaigning and/or advocacy addressing energy or climate change issues
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with supporter list management and engagement
- Strong research skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to travel
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, infographics) skills preferred
- Data and database maintenance experience a plus
- Content management or web development skills a plus
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous health, dental and retirement packages.
To Apply: E-mail cover letter, resume and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Domestic Campaigner.”
No snail mail applications or phone calls, please. Due to capacity constraints, we will only be able to reply to short-listed candidates.