JOBS AT OCI
Oil Change International is a research, communications, and advocacy organization focused on exposing the true costs of fossil fuels and facilitating the ongoing transition to clean energy. Below are our currently open positions.
Job Posting: Communications Officer
Oil Change International is seeking a Communications Officer to help ensure OCI’s cutting-edge research, campaigns, and messages reach key targets and audiences in our effort to keep fossil fuels in the ground and address the climate crisis.
Oil Change International has developed a strong reputation for producing cutting-edge, hard-hitting analysis to expose the true costs of fossil fuels, and for coupling that analysis with innovative campaigns to shift the narrative and pressure decision-makers to stand up to the fossil fuel industry. The Communications Officer, as part of the Communications and Product teams of OCI, will play a critical role in ensuring the success of these efforts.
The Communications Officer will have a combination of responsibilities supporting content creation for external communications efforts as well as development of products and tools to support the dissemination of those materials. Ideally, candidates will have relevant experience and skills in at least two of the following three areas:
- Traditional media engagement and strategy; and/or
- Online/new/social media content creation and strategy; and/or
- Fluency or familiarity with coding languages, supporter database management, testing protocols and similar technical product-related skills.
Tailored to the successful candidate’s specific experience and skill set, responsibilities in this position will include:
- Drafting content for supporter emails, blog posts, and social media posts;
- Supporting media efforts including drafting press releases and statements, as well as developing press lists and other press outreach strategies;
- Support in developing communications strategies for report releases and campaigns;
- Support in development and maintenance of key communications tools, including maintenance of supporters database, online fundraising platforms, and social media management tools.
The ideal candidate will have all of the following qualities:
- Commitment to the mission of OCI and an approach to the work grounded in social justice and equity;
- 4-7 years of experience in climate justice or other social justice work;
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to translate technical or complicated materials into motivating and energizing content for engaging supporters, the media, and/or the public; and
- Ability to deliver in fast-paced, rapid-response moments.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have some or all of the following qualities:
- Experience with campaigns or advocacy in an international context or in a national context outside of the United States;
- Experience developing traditional media materials (e.g. press advisories and releases, building press lists, etc.)
- Experience managing organizational social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- Familiarity with online user management systems (e.g. ActionKit, ActionNetwork, etc.);
- Familiarity with media tracking and engagement tools (e.g. Meltwater, Cision, etc.); and/or
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, SQL, and other relevant programming languages.
About Oil Change International:
Oil Change International is a non-profit organization that campaigns to expose the true costs of fossil fuels and facilitate the coming transition towards clean energy. We’re a small, gutsy group that wages hard-hitting campaigns, grounded in solid and credible research, to push the energy industry towards an environmentally and socially sustainable future. We work together with a broad network of allies, in the United States and globally, that are committed to identifying and overcoming political barriers to a clean energy transition and shifting the balance of power in the energy industry.
Founded in 2005, Oil Change International now has a creative, passionate, and dedicated staff of twenty across five countries and a supporter base of hundreds of thousands. Known both for our credible, insightful research on the fossil fuel industry and our aggressive nonviolent campaign tactics, Oil Change is a talented group that continues to punch above its weight.
Location: Location flexible for the right candidate. Candidate must be willing to work flexible hours depending on location.
Salary and benefits: Generous salary and benefits package in line with experience. Salary range will be between $65,000 to $75,000 depending on experience, with potential for adjustment based on cost of living.
Application Deadline: January 30, 2020
Reports to: Strategic Communications Director
To Apply: E-mail 1) cover letter explaining your interest in the position, and 2) your resume or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com with the subject heading “Communications Officer.” Position will remain open until filled.
Oil Change International values diversity, equity, and inclusivity as central to our work; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.