Oil Change International Activities
UNFCCC COP 22, Marrakech, Morocco, 7 to 18 November 2016
Contact: David Turnbull, email@example.com (10 to 16 Nov.) or Collin Rees, firstname.lastname@example.org, +212 6 99 34 59 91 (6 to 20 Nov.)
Oil Change International’s work at COP 22 in Marrakech includes:
- No New Fossil Fuels: Building off of ‘The Sky’s Limit’ report released in Sept., we are using partnerships and new materials to spread and amplify the message that there can be No New Fossil Fuel Development if the world is to meet the climate targets agreed in Paris. We are also specifically working to build international pressure on Canada, which cannot afford to build more tar sands pipelines if it wishes to fulfill its climate promises.
- Better Odds for Earth: The Paris Agreement sets a goal of limiting global warming to well below 2°C, while aiming to limit the increase to 1.5°C. But the most influential energy forecast aimed at addressing climate change – the International Energy Agency (IEA) 450 Scenario – gives us the same odds at 2ºC as a coin toss. We’re telling the IEA to replace 450S with a scenario aimed at holding global warming to 1.5°C. Get a #BetterOdds coin!
- Stop Funding Fossils: Governments still spend far more on fossil fuel production than on clean energy and climate action. We are working to get the word out and put the pressure on governments to Stop Funding Fossils. Get a Stop Funding Fossils / #KeepItInTheGround scarf!
- Thursday 10 Nov, 15:00 to 16:30: “Fossil Fuel Supply and Climate Policy: Key Steps to Enhance Ambition”, Blue Zone (badged), Room/Salle Pacific
- Friday 11 Nov, 17:00 to 18:30: “A Fair Way to ‘Keep It in the Ground’: Addressing Equity in Efforts to Limit Fossil Fuel Supply”, Green Zone (unbadged), Room/Salle 9
No New Fossil Fuels
- Video Release: “The Sky’s Limit: Why the Paris Climate Goals Require a Managed Decline of Fossil Fuel Production” (Thursday 10 Nov)
- Press Conference: “No New Fossil Fuel Development: Why the Paris Climate Goals Require a Managed Decline of Fossil Fuel Production”; time and location TBD (Monday 14 Nov)
- Letter Delivery and Action: Letter from international CSOs and celebrities calling on governments to commit to no new fossil fuel development; time and location TBD (Monday 14 Nov)
- Live Webinar: Presentation to global faith audiences, live from Marrakech; location TBD (Monday 14 Nov)
- Press Conference: Calling for an end to new fossil fuel development focusing on Canadian tar sands; time and location TBD (Monday 14 or Wednesday 16 Nov)
Better Odds for Earth
- Response: IEA’s WEO Release (Wednesday 16 Nov)
- Action: #BetterOdds for Earth action calling for energy forecasts to be aligned with Paris commitments and climate success; time and location TBD
Stop Funding Fossils
- Briefing Release: “Ending Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Finance in the United States” (Thursday 10 Nov)
- Briefing and Action: “Governments Still Funding Fossils Over Climate Finance” and #StopFundingFossils action calling for governments to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies/finance and ramp up climate finance (Friday 11 Nov)
- Report Release and Press Conference: “Carbon Trap: How International Coal Finance Undermines the Paris Agreement” (Monday 14 Nov)
- Briefing release: “The Elephant in the Room: Fossil Fuel Subsidies Undermine Carbon Pricing in Canada” (Wednesday 16 Nov)