Data Driven, People Powered.
Oil Change is a research, communications, and advocacy organization focused on exposing the true costs of fossil fuels and facilitating the ongoing transition to clean energy.
In Africa, Oil Change works to:
- Shift energy financing away from fossil fuels and increasing finance for distributed renewable energy to support the goal of providing universal access to all.
- Increase public financing for distributed renewable energy that also ensures a higher degree of local ownership of solutions.
- Expose the scale and source of financing for fossil fuel projects on the continent.
- Support frontline groups in their efforts to resist harmful fossil fuel projects.
- Support and facilitate convenings for movement partners to support information, capacity sharing, and strategy development.
Oil Change believes there should be no sacrificial zones. The fossil fuel industry must be resisted and pursued with equal vigor in all corners of the world. African countries should not be locked into harmful oil, gas, and coal production while the rest of the world transitions away from fossil fuels.
We support African civil society calls on African governments and regional intergovernmental bodies like the African Union to stop fossil fuel expansion, support energy access, and facilitate a just transition (see Addis Ababa communiqué).