Posts in War
- So it’s official. Confirming what many people already suspected, especially in areas of the Middle East or the Horn of Africa, climate change can be a cause of conflict.
- Is Iraq about to witness another war over oil?
- Was the western intervention in Libya primarily driven by oil? The answer depends on who you ask, but as usual, in the volatile mix of international politics, oil is never far from the surface. It certainly helps the case of those countries that are vying for a piece of the Libyan oil pie that they...
Continue reading 'To the Victors go the Spoils'.
- On the fifth anniversary of the Iraq war, a report from Oil Change International, entitled A Climate of War, analysed both the greenhouse gas emissions of the war and the costs involved in fighting that war rather than climate change. The report contained many shocking facts but a couple were that the projected total US...
Continue reading 'Obama’s War Machine Goes Green'.
- Since the 1973 Arab oil embargo, successive US administrations have equated national security with access to, and control of, oil – particularly in the Persian Gulf, which holds two-thirds of global oil reserves. In other words, as long as we need oil, we need the Persian Gulf. Faced with this unpleasant fact, every President since...
Continue reading '“Trillions” to defend oil supply'.
- As the world watches and waits for the British company BP to stop the ecological disaster unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico, you would be forgiven for forgetting that elsewhere round the globe the oil industry is just getting on with it. Away from the glare of the cameras, there is the routine business of...
Continue reading 'Meanwhile in Africa its rip-offs and resource wars ..'.
- Six months ago, the campaign organisation Global Witness exposed discrepancies in the oil figures for Sudan, raising questions as to whether the revenues were being shared fairly between the North and South of the country. The revenues are important as they under-pin the 2005 peace agreement, which brought to an end one of Africa’s longest-running...
Continue reading 'Sudan’s Oil Figures Don’t Add up, Undermining Peace Deal'.
- So seven years later it will come down to this weekend. Whether President Obama can withdraw all American combat troops from Iraq by August will be decided by the Iraqi elections this weekend. If the election passes off peacefully, American soldiers will probably go home on schedule. But if there is a repeat of the...
Continue reading 'Oil “Dominating” Iraqi Election Campaign'.
- Tensions are rising rapidly over the imminent oil exploration around the Falklands. Yesterday Argentina accused Britain of “whipping up the spectre of war” after the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, insisted the Falkland Islands were being properly protected to allow oil and gas exploration. “We have made all the preparations necessary to make sure the...
Continue reading '“Whipping up the spectre of an oil war”'.
- Things are hotting up in the Niger Delta again and once again Shell finds itself at the centre of the vortex of violence and conflict. On Saturday the company had to shut three oil flow stations in the Delta region after a pipeline was sabotaged by armed gun-men. It was the same day as Nigeria’s...
Continue reading 'As violence starts again, Shell off-loads Nigerian assets'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,355)
- Briefings (20)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (11)
- Featured (1,162)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (415)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (104)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (60)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (36)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence