Posts in UN Climate Talks
- The Lima UN climate talks which open today were always the diplomatic aperitif before the main three course carbon-fest in Paris next year. However they open with a renewed sense of optimism that after 20 years of delay and political deadlock – often driven by the fossil fuel industry – a deal may well be in sight for Paris.
- One step forward - two steps back or two steps forward one step back? It’s been a topsy turvy couple of weeks as far as the climate is concerned. We have had the Republicans gaining control of both sides of the House and Obama pulling a climate rabbit out of the hat with the US-China deal.
- The actor Leonardo DiCaprio was one of a number of people to address the United Nations Climate Summit yesterday, urging them to take action to address "the greatest challenge of our existence on this planet."
- Yesterday was day two of the dynamic and energised protests against climate change in New York which saw several thousand activists take part in “Flood Wall Street.”
- 400,000 in New York. 40,000 in London. 30,000 in Melborne. 25,000 in Paris. Thousands others in some 2,700 events across the globe in over 150 countries.
- On Sunday, hundreds of thousands of people are expected to take part in what the organisers are promising to be the largest climate march ever in New York.
- Next week, on the 23 September, the United Nations will hold its most important climate summit for years in New York, which will attended by some 125 heads of state.
- The tar sands industry wants to transform northern Alberta into the largest man-made lake district on Earth, with dozens of toxic tailings ponds.
- Yesterday over 70 NGOs released a letter calling on the United Nations to implement new rules to safeguard the global climate talks from the undue influence of the fossil fuel industry.
- A report by the Global Carbon Project, published today has highlighted how global carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels will rise to a record 36 billion tonnes this year.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,956)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (787)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (110)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (130)
- Subsidy Spotlight (6)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War