Posts in subsidies
- Standard Oil has long since been broken up yet the subsidy designed to do so has only grown over its 100-year lifespan in terms of total value to the industry.
- Today, G20 leaders in China again failed to set a deadline to end fossil fuel subsidies, seven years after they first committed to ending them. Even as G20 governments move to ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change, they’re adding fuel to the fire by dumping $444 billion of our money into polluting fossil fuel companies every year, undermining the spirit...
Continue reading 'Fossil fuel subsidies are “the world’s dumbest policy” – so why won’t G20 leaders end them?'.
- This week, the leaders of Mexico, Canada, and the United States met in Ottawa for the North American Leaders’ Summit. In their outcome statement on climate and energy, they committed to “phase out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies by 2025 and call on the other members of the G-20 to do the same.” Along with their...
Continue reading 'Should North Americans subsidize oil, gas, and coal for another 10 years?'.
RELEASE: Civil society organisations join forces to call for G20 to end fossil fuel subsidies by 2020More than 200 civil society organizations have joined together to urge G20 governments to commit to end fossil fuel subsidies by 2020.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 27, 2016 Contact: Alex Doukas, alex [at] priceofoil [dot] org G7 leaders call for end to fossil fuel subsidies worldwide by 2025 In response to the G7 Leaders’ Declaration released today, where world leaders for the first time established a deadline on their commitment to phase out fossil fuel subsidies, Alex Doukas, Senior...
Continue reading 'Reaction: 2025 fossil fuel subsidies deadline in G7 Leaders’ Declaration'.
- Just last year, Canada’s Liberal Party campaigned on a promise to start winding down subsidies to fossil fuel producers. Now that they’ve been elected on that platform, Justin Trudeau’s government faces its first real test on fossil fuel subsidies in the 2016 budget that will be released next week. You can call on the government to...
Continue reading 'Ending Canada’s billions in fossil fuel subsidies'.
- While a reasonable new fee on oil to fund much needed transportation improvements may be a bridge too far for those who take their marching orders from Big Oil, we hope Congress might finally consider eliminating wasteful government spending in the form of fossil fuel subsidies at the very least.
- Today, the Obama Administration released a fact sheet describing a new initiative included in the President’s upcoming budget proposal, which will include a new fee paid by oil companies along with increased investments in new transportation options. Read more for Oil Change International's response.
- If a climate test were to be applied to this bill, there’s little doubt it would fail.
- Hidden Costs: Pollution from Coal Power Financed by OECD Countries November 2015 Oil Change International and WWF DOWNLOAD REPORT OECD countries support coal-fired power plants abroad by providing preferential financing through institutions called Export Credit Agencies (ECAs). These coal-fired power plants have significant costs, in the form damages to the health of local populations from air...
Continue reading 'Hidden Costs: Pollution from Coal Power Financed by OECD Countries'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,340)
- Briefings (19)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (10)
- Featured (1,149)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (402)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (101)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (60)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (34)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence