Posts in sea-level rise
- If there is one name synonymous with climate science it is Dr. James Hansen, seen as the Godfather of the science. It was Hansen, the former NASA scientist, who famously told Congress back in 1988 to “stop waffling” because “the greenhouse effect is here and is affecting our climate now.”
- Only a week to go and the climate sceptics seem to be popping up everywhere, trying to undermine the Copenhagen conference. But what they can’t stop is the damning new credible scientific evidence that is being produced. One such study is from the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR). The SCAR study was undertaken by...
Continue reading '10% of Population Will be Affected by Sea-Level Rise'.
- A 4 C rise and counting. By 2060. That is the message from the UK Met Office in a study prepared for the British Government. Unless there is a radical action on carbon emissions, a catastrophic four degree rise in centigrade (7.2 F) could happen in many people’s live-times. That is five decades before most...
Continue reading 'Expect Catastrophic Warming in Your Life-Time …'.
- I am used to writing about the problems of oil and the Niger Delta with its vortex of violence and vulnerability to climate change. But what about another equally important Delta of Africa: the Nile, arguably once the world’s most famous river. It too is beginning to suffer from the creeping consequences of our changing...
Continue reading 'The Nile Delta: “We are going underwater”'.
- Australia has been accused of watering down demands for radical action at the Pacific Islands States conference, that has just finished in Cairns, Australia. At the start of the conference the Pacific Island states were demanding a 45 per cent cut by 2020 and 85 per cent by 2050.
- Does anyone remember the song written by the pop group, Latin Quarter, called “Radio Africa”, written in the mid-eighties whose repeated starting line was “I am hearing only bad news on Radio Africa”? That song came back to my mind reading the reports from the climate conference in Copenhagen. I am hearing only bad news...
Continue reading 'I am hearing only bad news…'.
- It’s a tale of two conferences in two cities that are both on the science of climate change. One we should take seriously, the other one we should not. One is stacked full of thousands of reputable climate scientists, the other the same old, predominantly right-wing corporate funded climate sceptics with a discredited and out-dated...
Continue reading 'Its Serious Science Versus the Sceptics'.
- Continuing the theme of volatile trends, yesterday’s news was that the Arctic was melting much faster than previously predicted. Today’s news, not surprisingly, is that sea level rise will “substantially exceed” previous estimates. The latest estimates are that it could rise 150 cm this Century.
- Thirteen years ago today, the world watched in horror as a brutal military dictatorship executed Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight other Ogoni activists. Ken and the others were fighting against Shell for a greater share of the oil waealth that was being drilled from their land, but more importantly they were fighting for clean air, water...
Continue reading 'Paradise Lost'.
- Sea levels could rise by up to one-and-a-half metres by the end of this century, according to new scientific research. The new analysis comes from a UK/Finnish team which has built a computer model linking temperatures to sea levels for the last two millennia. “For the past 2,000 years, the [global average] sea level was...
Continue reading 'Sea-Level Rise Could Wipe Out Bangladesh by 2100'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,123)
- Briefings (15)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (6)
- Featured (943)
- Industry Analysis (15)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (239)
- Newsletter (22)
- Press Releases (63)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (45)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (23)
- Separate Oil and State (135)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War