Posts in sea-level rise
- "We are the ones in control right now, but once we go past 2 degrees, we see that the Earth system tips over from being a friend to a foe. We totally hand over our fate to an Earth system that starts rolling out of equilibrium."
- Three pieces of research published this week reveal the increasing climate emergency we live in, and reiterate the recklessness of the decision by Trudeau to invest billions in Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline.
- It is sixty years ago this year that the oil giant, Shell, first found oil at Oloibiri in Ijawland in the Niger Delta, after fourteen years of searching.
- In a year of climate records being broken on an almost weekly basis, the Arctic is breaking more than most and now could be stuck in a spiral of what is known as "Arctic amplification".
- It is no longer a question of "if" the unthinkable happens, but a question of "when". And the “when” could happen sooner than you think. For decades now climate scientists have been worried about what happens if the vast West Antarctic ice sheet melts.
- Not long into the New Year and already a new warning about climate change and rising sea levels.
- If there is one name synonymous with climate science it is Dr. James Hansen, seen as the Godfather of the science. It was Hansen, the former NASA scientist, who famously told Congress back in 1988 to “stop waffling” because “the greenhouse effect is here and is affecting our climate now.”
- Only a week to go and the climate sceptics seem to be popping up everywhere, trying to undermine the Copenhagen conference. But what they can’t stop is the damning new credible scientific evidence that is being produced. One such study is from the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR). The SCAR study was undertaken by...
Continue reading '10% of Population Will be Affected by Sea-Level Rise'.
- A 4 C rise and counting. By 2060. That is the message from the UK Met Office in a study prepared for the British Government. Unless there is a radical action on carbon emissions, a catastrophic four degree rise in centigrade (7.2 F) could happen in many people’s live-times. That is five decades before most...
Continue reading 'Expect Catastrophic Warming in Your Life-Time …'.
- I am used to writing about the problems of oil and the Niger Delta with its vortex of violence and vulnerability to climate change. But what about another equally important Delta of Africa: the Nile, arguably once the world’s most famous river. It too is beginning to suffer from the creeping consequences of our changing...
Continue reading 'The Nile Delta: “We are going underwater”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,816)
- Briefings (45)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,626)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (857)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (227)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (97)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (82)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence