Posts in Russian oil
- Whether the scientists or oilmen win the defining battle of our time – how and when to wean ourselves off fossil fuels - will shape what this world looks like for our children and grandchildren.
- As Russia gears up for its own fracking revolution, Poland is set to effectively outlaw anti-fracking dissent.
- Much of the focus recently about the dangers of Arctic drilling has focused on Shell’s plans to drill off Alaska. But let’s not forget about the real and growing dangers to the Russian Arctic too. Once again it seems that the oil industry is not prepared for the risks of a spill and maybe operating...
Continue reading 'Gazprom’s Oil Response Plan “Illegal”'.
- Late last week, the Russian President Vladimir Putin outlined plans to create “globally competitive conditions” to attract foreign investment in Russia’s largely unexplored Arctic. “Offshore fields – especially in the Arctic – are without any exaggeration our strategic reserve for the 21st century,” Putin told a meeting attended by the heads of Rosneft and Gazprom....
Continue reading 'Lloyds Warns of Arctic Drilling Risk'.
- It will not just be Bob Dudley from BP who will be aghast at the news that Exxon and Rosneft have signed a historical deal to develop Arctic oil reserves, but many people from Alaska too. Just months after BP failed in a bid to form a strategic alliance with Rosneft, ExxonMobil has outsmarted its...
Continue reading 'Exxon Beats BP to Arctic Prize'.
- Sometimes the best protests are the most simple and symbolic. Yesterday, Shell’s shareholders and senior management at the company’s AGM in the Hague were presented with an “erratum” to the company’s recent Annual Report. The spoof report by Friends of the Earth looks like a real Shell report, until you start to read it. For...
Continue reading 'And for Shell We Present an “Erratum”'.
- BP’s long-term strategic direction and its credibility with City analysts is in tatters this morning after its bid for a strategic alliance with Rosneft, the Russian state oil champion, collapsed late last night. A year on from the Deepwater disaster, this was the deal that was meant to revitalise BP’s reputation. This was the deal...
Continue reading 'BP’s Credibility in Tatters Again'.
- BP’s AGM tomorrow is set to be a tumultuous affair with the oil giant having to absorb criticism over the legacy of the it’s catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, its investment in the dirty Canadian tar sands and its dodgy deal with the Russian Rosneft to drill in the Arctic. Throw in...
Continue reading 'One Year Later: BP’s Contamination Continues'.
- As BP reported a $5bn loss after Gulf oil spill, confusion reigns this morning whether the company will be able to pay its dividend in full. The company has publicly announced that it will pay a dividend for the first time since the Deepwater disaster. But Bob Dudley’s hopes of winning round the investment community...
Continue reading 'BP, the Russian Godfather & Rogue States'.
- Ever since BP’s complex deal with Russian giant Rosneft was announced late last Friday, the list of critics to the deal has been growing. Take today’s leader in the Financial Times that calls the deal “risky, ethically vexing” and a “difficult transaction to spin.” I am surprised that a tabloid newspaper hasn’t spun the deal...
Continue reading 'Bolshoi Petroleum is “environmental villain number one”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2825)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (655)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (13)
- Press Releases (25)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (29)
- Research & Opinions (30)
- Resources (14)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (2)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War