Posts in protests
- Yesterday, several hundred students from over 80 colleges across the United States were arrested outside the White House as they took part in “XL Dissent” - a major demonstration against the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.
- Rock legend Neil Young continued his week-long “Honor the Treaties” tour of Canada yesterday by likening the tar sands to a war zone.
- An investigation by the Associated Press has found that, in at least four major fracking states, there have been hundreds of complaints from local residents.
- The Canadian Museum of Civilisation has announced it is “proud” to have struck a sponsorship deal with the tar sands lobby group, CAPP.
- Yesterday was the eighteen anniversary of the murder of Ken Saro-Wiwa. The charismatic, pipe-smoking activist was murdered by the brutal military junta for his campaign against Shell in the Niger Delta.
- As First Nations continue to fight fracking in New Brunswick, the neighbouring provincial government of Newfoundland and Labrador has halted the controversial drilling technique.
- From Canada to Honolulu, from New York to London over fifty events are taking place today in support of the Canadian indigenous rights movement, Idle No More's global day of action, entitled #Oct7Proclaim!
- This morning the Russian state prosecutor officially laid charges of piracy against a Greenpeace activist from Brazil who had protested against oil drilling in the Arctic. A freelance videographer from Britain has also been charged with piracy.
- YouTube’s reputation as a bastion of internet freedom has taken a battering over the last few days as it has twice censored anti-oil videos.
- As protests against fracking in the UK continue, the Netherlands is the latest European country to signal that it is set to press ahead with the controversial technique.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2806)
- Briefings (7)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (634)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (6)
- Press Releases (21)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (28)
- Research & Opinions (29)
- Resources (12)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (1)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War