Posts in Politics
- As people still digest the new political landscape in Washington, there is no doubt that the oil and gas industry lobbyists will be salivating at the prospect of dealing with some of their old friends, who will soon be in important positions. To give you just one example: The prospect of Joe Barton becoming the...
Continue reading 'Compromise Can Be Dirty'.
- It was always a matter of time before the Obama Administration buckled under the intense pressure of the oil industry and Gulf States and let drilling resume in the Gulf. Weeks earlier than expected, the administration lifted the moratorium on deep-water drilling, that was put in place in the aftermath of the Deepwater disaster. “We...
Continue reading 'After a Pause for Breath, Let’s Drill Baby…'.
- So the UK Coalition government between the Tories and Liberal Democrats is 100 days old this week. While this political milestone is somewhat meaningless, it does give political commentators a moment to measure how things are going. When British Prime Minister David Cameron took power, he said he wanted the new coalition administration to be...
Continue reading 'The UK Coalition Ain’t Green, Its Dirty Brown'.
- The pseudo garbage that constitutes the British Daily Express newspaper yesterday ran a headline saying climate change was a con to put up taxes Quoting yet another climate sceptic the Express served up a disservice to journalism, by completely manipulating the climate debate. Suddenly sceptics are appearing out of the wood-work left, right and centre,...
Continue reading 'Flawed Talks Must Fail, Says Hansen'.
- Well who would have guessed it? Just weeks ago I watched the Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill bristle with honesty and defiance when he said he had released the Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi purely and solely on compassionate grounds. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple as that. Ever since that statement, the plot has unravelled...
Continue reading 'More Oil Links and Lobbying Behind Lockerbie Deal'.
- Is the special relationship between the US and UK going to be stretched to the limit over Lockerbie? It is expected that this afternoon the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi will be freed from prison on compassionate grounds as he has terminal prostate cancer. Colonel Gaddafi’s private jet is waiting to take him home. Kenny Macaskill,...
Continue reading 'Lockerbie: Freedom for Oil?'.
- When the financial crisis hit and the global economy plunged into recession, many people argued that it would be a perfect opportunity for a “Green New Deal”, were the recovery would be built by green sustainable jobs. You could solve the financial and climate crisis in one. But governments around the world have poured trillions...
Continue reading 'UK Refuses to Intervene to Save Turbine Factory'.
- One of the issues that Oil Change has tried to highlight is how oil money corrupts and corrodes politics. Big Oil has always had hordes of cash to spend to influence legislation on energy and climate. Big Oil always expects to get its way as its pockets are deeper than its opponents. For years it...
Continue reading 'How Corporate Money Corrupted the Climate Bill'.
- I have heard UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown speak on many occasions. Often his tone comes across as a drab mixture of dour-Scotsman and Mr. Scrooge after a bad night out on the wiskey. But in his address yesterday to a joint session of Congress, he seemed electrified and animated. Some are now saying it...
Continue reading 'Brown to Congress: “End the Dictatorship of Oil”'.
- The breaking news from Canada is that the Conservative Prime Minister, Stephen Harper has been re-elected with an increased majority, although he has fallen some 10 to 12 votes short of an overall majority, something he desperately craved. Despite this, Harper’s political gamble to call a snap election has paid off, although he will still...
Continue reading 'Harper’s Victory is Bad News for the Environment'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,942)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (773)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (101)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (37)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (129)
- Subsidy Spotlight (5)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War