Posts in Politics
- It will become a defining battle of our times. A Brexit-supporting billionaire, who until recently lived as a tax-exile in Switzerland, versus the people of Britain. And the battle will be over fracking.
- Last Saturday, news broke that the Democratic National Platform Committee formally adopted a “Climate Test” into their draft platform that will be adopted this month. This is big news, but it's just the start of what we need.
- In a stunning victory for First Nations and environmentalists, a Canadian court has overturned the approval of the highly controversial Northern Gateway pipeline in Canada.
- The man who famously rebranded BP as “Beyond Petroleum” has re-entered the debate over climate and oil by warning that oil companies face bankruptcy if they do not address the risks of global warming.
- And so the climate movement marches on. The last couple of months have been pretty amazing for those working towards a healthy climate future. The controversial Keystone XL pipeline is dead; Exxon is being investigated for lying about climate change; Shell and Statoil have pulled out of the Alaska Arctic, and Obama has cancelled further Arctic leases.
- The Conservative Government’s full-frontal assault on Britain’s internationally-respected planning process has become apparent this morning, after it was announced that Ministers will fast-track fracking applications overriding local councils.
- There was more bad news for the fracking industry yesterday when New York State became the first US state to officially ban fracking.
- The front pages of many of this morning’s newspapers reflect the ground-breaking pledge by the Group of Seven industrial powers, known as the G7, to decarbonise the global economy by the end of the century.
- The unimaginable happened last night in Alberta, Canada’s oil patch province. After decades of conservative rule, the left leaning New Democratic Party (NDP) swept the election, winning a decisive majority government. I think I speak for most Canadians when I say that if you had suggested that this was a possibility a year ago, or even...
Continue reading 'Political price tag: fossil fuel fall out in Alberta'.
- A huge orange tidal wave swept through the Albertan political landscape yesterday, re-writing the history books and ripping up the decades-old political order.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,308)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,120)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (385)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (98)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (59)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (32)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence