Posts in Oil
Nobel Laureates Send Letter to Gov. Brown urging managed and just transition off of oil and gas productionNobel Peace Prize Laureates Ask Governor Brown to Take “Moral Responsibility,” Pursue Bold Action to Phase Out Fossil Fuels
- 288 major investors worth more than $26 trillion USD in assets are warning that we aren’t on track to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and lack the tools needed to get there. In a public statement and policy brief released yesterday, the group which includes major pension funds, banks, asset managers, churches,...
Continue reading 'Major Investors Call for Paris-Aligned Energy Scenarios'.
- Over 230 civil society groups from 44 countries released an open letter being sent to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, urging him to reject the pipeline and instead begin planning for a managed decline of fossil fuel production and a just transition for workers and impacted communities.
- As California Governor Jerry Brown prepares to host a global summit aimed at rallying bolder climate action, a new report out today details how the state can and must initiate a managed phase-out of its own oil production to fulfill its commitment to the Paris climate goals.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 16, 2018 US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance US commercial banks are gearing up for their annual general meetings, starting as early as this week, but they’re not alone in making plans for AGM season. A growing number of concerned communities and organizations are planning a...
Continue reading 'US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance'.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- Through its energy forecasts, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has been guiding governments towards energy decisions that are inconsistent with the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, new research has found.
- The report finds that major private banks funneled $115 billion into extreme fossil fuels in 2017, an increase of 11% from 2016. The single biggest driver of the increase in financing came from the tar sands sector, where financing grew by 111% from 2016 to 2017.
- Rainforest Action Network, Oil Change International, Indigenous Environmental Network, Honor the Earth, BankTrack, and Sierra Club with 350.org, 350 Eugene, 350 Seattle, Amazon Watch, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development, Bank Information Center, Bold Alliance, Carrizo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas, Catskill Mountainkeeper, CEE Bankwatch, Center for Sustainable Economy, CHANGE, Christian Aid, Citizens Against LNG,...
Continue reading 'Banking on Climate Change: Fossil Fuel Finance Report Card 2018'.
- On Monday, Shell released a new report describing how the world might achieve the Paris goals. The report described a scenario called “Sky,” painting a picture of a possible future. It’s a future full of fossil fuels: in 2050, it has oil, gas and coal use at respectively 88%, 93%, and 62% of their current...
Continue reading 'Shell Game: What Shell Gets Wrong in Its New Climate Report'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,846)
- Briefings (46)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,656)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (888)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (232)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (99)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (85)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence