Posts in Oil
- If we want to stave off the very worst impacts of our climate crisis, we need to move as quickly as possible away from fossil fuels. That means cutting both our collective demand for oil, gas, and coal as well as reducing the supply of fossil fuels that helps to drive that demand.
- The letter calls on Brown and the state "to become the first major fossil fuel producer to begin a managed and just transition off oil and gas production."
Nobel Laureates Send Letter to Gov. Brown urging managed and just transition off of oil and gas productionNobel Peace Prize Laureates Ask Governor Brown to Take “Moral Responsibility,” Pursue Bold Action to Phase Out Fossil Fuels
- 288 major investors worth more than $26 trillion USD in assets are warning that we aren’t on track to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and lack the tools needed to get there. In a public statement and policy brief released yesterday, the group which includes major pension funds, banks, asset managers, churches,...
Continue reading 'Major Investors Call for Paris-Aligned Energy Scenarios'.
- Over 230 civil society groups from 44 countries released an open letter being sent to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, urging him to reject the pipeline and instead begin planning for a managed decline of fossil fuel production and a just transition for workers and impacted communities.
- As California Governor Jerry Brown prepares to host a global summit aimed at rallying bolder climate action, a new report out today details how the state can and must initiate a managed phase-out of its own oil production to fulfill its commitment to the Paris climate goals.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 16, 2018 US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance US commercial banks are gearing up for their annual general meetings, starting as early as this week, but they’re not alone in making plans for AGM season. A growing number of concerned communities and organizations are planning a...
Continue reading 'US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance'.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- Through its energy forecasts, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has been guiding governments towards energy decisions that are inconsistent with the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, new research has found.
- The report finds that major private banks funneled $115 billion into extreme fossil fuels in 2017, an increase of 11% from 2016. The single biggest driver of the increase in financing came from the tar sands sector, where financing grew by 111% from 2016 to 2017.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,760)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (16)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,565)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (800)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (215)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (93)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (77)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence