Posts in Oil
- Climate on the Line: Why new tar sands pipelines are incompatible with the Paris goals January 2017 Oil Change International Download the report here. New analysis finds that Canada will be the world’s second highest contributor of new oil production globally over the next twenty years if action isn’t taken to halt new tar sands...
Continue reading 'Climate on the Line: Why New Tar Sands Pipelines Are Incompatible With the Paris Goals'.
- Today Rex Tillerson, under oath, denied the existence of fossil fuel subsidies. In fact, according to our new analysis ExxonMobil likely gets as much as $1 billion in subsidies each year.
- Rex Tillerson seems determined to run US foreign policy like he ran Exxon: deny, evade, and even lie, in order to defend power and certainly without regard to any 'moral compass'.
- Subsidies: Propping Up Oil Profits & Polluting the Climate Oil Change International & Sierra Club January 2017 DOWNLOAD INFOGRAPHIC Almost half of all oil production expected to come online in the United States is only economic if the public props up private investments with taxpayer handouts. The other half of oil production would happen even...
Continue reading 'Infographic: Subsidies Propping Up Oil Profits & Polluting the Climate'.
- The Obama and Trudeau announcement of an oil/gas development ban in Arctic/Atlantic waters was huge, but how each country explained it reveals a major rift.
- We congratulate President Obama for this historic action. As he knows, and as he stated when he rejected Keystone XL, ‘if we’re going to prevent large parts of this Earth from becoming not only inhospitable but uninhabitable in our lifetimes, we’re going to have to keep some fossil fuels in the ground.
- To everyone keeping score at home, you can mark this up as Putin’s payback for election intervention. The nomination of Rex Tillerson has revealed with startling clarity that our government is being set up to support the interests of Big Oil and Putin, not the American people or the planet. Now more than ever, we demand a Separation of Oil and State.
- Today the Obama Administration once again demonstrated climate leadership by taking the Arctic Ocean off the table in its five-year offshore oil and gas drilling plan. The move was a logical next step from the exclusion of Atlantic waters announced earlier this year.
- "Canada's fossil fuel subsidies are like taxing consumers when they buy cigarettes while giving massive tax breaks to tobacco companies that encourage them to produce more cigarettes. It doesn’t make sense.”
- Post by Mika Minio-Paluello, first published by Platform The UK government is pushing a massive new offshore drilling programme, that will take the UK beyond its climate limits. Oil companies had until 2pm Wednesday to bid for 1200 blocks covering large swathes of the sea off North-west and North-east Scotland and England. There is no space in the atmosphere for the...
Continue reading 'New UK Oil Drilling Round Could Bust Us Through Climate Limits'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,405)
- Briefings (21)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (12)
- Featured (1,207)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (7)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (461)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (118)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (63)
- Research & Opinions (35)
- Resources (40)
- Separate Oil and State (140)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence