Posts in oil spills
- Yesterday was the eighteen anniversary of the murder of Ken Saro-Wiwa. The charismatic, pipe-smoking activist was murdered by the brutal military junta for his campaign against Shell in the Niger Delta.
- Oil and gas inspectors are said to be "completely overwhelmed" by the size and scale of the destruction caused by the floods in Colorado.
- Yesterday the American Journal of Medicine published a new scientific study which found that the clean up workers from BP's Deepwater Horizon disaster are at risk of developing cancer, leukaemia and a host of other illnesses.
- TransCanada has no plans to use cutting edge anti-pollution technology on the KXL, despite 12 spills on the Southern leg of the pipeline.
- The government of British Colombia has officially expressed its opposition to Enbridge’s controversial $6 billion Northern Gateway pipeline project, saying it fails to address the province's environmental concerns.
- In the raging Keystone XL debate in the US, there is an ongoing discussion as to whether it is better and safer to transport oil by rail or road. The State Department has argued that if the KXL pipeline does not go ahead, it will not stop the tar sands from being developed, as the...
Continue reading 'Two Spills in Two Days'.
- Documents reveal that Shell's oil spill containment dome is "crushed like a beer can,” in tests.
- BP’s disastrous Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico refuses to go away. The Daily Telegraph in the UK is reporting that BP is being sued for tens of millions of dollars in America US by institutional investors. The investors – the South Yorkshire Pensions Authority, Skandia Global Funds and GAM Fund Management –...
Continue reading 'BP sued “for hiding truth” over Deepwater'.
- Much of the focus recently about the dangers of Arctic drilling has focused on Shell’s plans to drill off Alaska. But let’s not forget about the real and growing dangers to the Russian Arctic too. Once again it seems that the oil industry is not prepared for the risks of a spill and maybe operating...
Continue reading 'Gazprom’s Oil Response Plan “Illegal”'.
- A couple months ago, Oil Change International worked with Earth Track and NRDC to expose a huge loophole that allows tar sands producers to avoid paying their fair share into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund. Oil producers generally pay into this fund, but through a exemption in the tax code, tar sands oil producers...
Continue reading 'Tar sands tax loophole highlighted in two more reports'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,786)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,592)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (826)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (221)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (94)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (79)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence