Posts in Oil Shale
- The barricades have been drawn. On the one side stands one of Britain’s leading unconventional energy companies, Cuadrilla. On the other side stands the rural village of Balcombe in the rolling hills of rural Sussex.
- Fracking has led to a boom in sand mining in the US, with nearly 50 million tons of sand mined in 2011.
- Is the fracking boom set to go spectacularly bust?
- The volume of gas flared in the US has tripled in just five years due to the boom in shale oil. And the flares from the main oil shale fields are now so great they are visible from space
- The new Hollywood film about fracking, which stars Matt Damon, entitled “Promised Land” could tap into the growing grassroots rebellion against the technique which is slowly sweeping across America.
- New research by British scientists has claimed that the US shale gas boom is not curbing greenhouse gas emissions as much as its proponents claim.
- The US could soon replace Saudi Arabia as the world’s leading oil producer, just as the Saudis promise to go green
- Love it or loath it as the voice of business, you can say one thing about the Financial Times, it normally covers the energy beat with a reasonable degree of accuracy. That’s why is was so disappointing to read the latest misguided comment piece by the paper’s Washington columnist Edward Luce, in an article “Look...
Continue reading 'Don’t Look Away Now'.
- The headline in yesterday’s Financial Times said it all “Surge in shale oil output fuels US jobs bonanza”. According to the FT: “The boom in shale oil and gas production has created one bright spot in the otherwise grim US labour market.” “The rate of job growth is noteworthy,” Brian Davidson, an economist with the...
Continue reading 'Shale Oil Jobs “Vastly Exaggerated”'.
- Last month, a ground-breaking study by Oil Change and other NGO’s calculated that Shell was the world’s most carbon intensive oil company, per barrel of oil equivalent to be produced. The main reason for this is its massive expansion into Canada’s climate intensive dirty oil sands. The report looked at the carbon intensity of the...
Continue reading 'Shell’s Operations Present “Climate Risk” to Investors'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2826)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (655)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (13)
- Press Releases (26)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (29)
- Research & Opinions (30)
- Resources (14)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (2)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War