Posts in Oil Shale
- New technologies like fracking––along with government subsidies––have ushered in an energy boom reliant on extreme extraction methods to produce oil and natural gas. Now the Uinta Basin is ground zero for what threatens to become the next phase in extreme energy extraction: strip mining for tar sands and oil shale.
- Through public land leases, infrastructure subsidies, and some very expensive tax breaks, taxpayer money is supporting what could become one of the dirtiest, most destructive chapters in American energy history.
- Last Sunday was a grim and painful anniversary for the people of Lac-Mégantic in Quebec. It was a year ago that a crude by rail train, which was carrying highly volatile crude from America’s Bakken fracking fields, derailed and exploded, effectively incinerating 47 people.
- The barricades have been drawn. On the one side stands one of Britain’s leading unconventional energy companies, Cuadrilla. On the other side stands the rural village of Balcombe in the rolling hills of rural Sussex.
- Fracking has led to a boom in sand mining in the US, with nearly 50 million tons of sand mined in 2011.
- Is the fracking boom set to go spectacularly bust?
- The volume of gas flared in the US has tripled in just five years due to the boom in shale oil. And the flares from the main oil shale fields are now so great they are visible from space
- The new Hollywood film about fracking, which stars Matt Damon, entitled “Promised Land” could tap into the growing grassroots rebellion against the technique which is slowly sweeping across America.
- New research by British scientists has claimed that the US shale gas boom is not curbing greenhouse gas emissions as much as its proponents claim.
- The US could soon replace Saudi Arabia as the world’s leading oil producer, just as the Saudis promise to go green
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,977)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (804)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (122)
- Press Releases (38)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (131)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War