Posts in oil sands
Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transitionApril 7, 2016 For Immediate Release New pipelines from the Alberta to tidewater would do nothing to help Canada’s oil industry cope with low oil prices. Contrary to assertions made by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers today and Natural Resources Minister Carr on Tuesday in interviews, there is no longer a sound economic argument...
Continue reading 'Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transition'.
- It’s a small simple chart which has a huge significance for Canada and the climate.
- If you are paying attention to the tar sands pipeline conversations, you have no doubt heard industry proponents argue that Alberta needs another pipeline to get its oil to tidewater (i.e. the east or west coast of Canada in this case) in order to obtain the highest price possible for the product. But the fact...
Continue reading 'Tar sands and the myth of tidewater access'.
- This Thursday, President Obama will host Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau at a state dinner – the first such official dinner between the two nation’s leaders in almost two decades. The event signals not only a new relationship between the two neighbours (at least for a while longer), but also a shared set of values that...
Continue reading 'Betting on success: Cross-border action for a safer climate'.
- The winds of change have been blowing in Canada over the past year – with new governments, new promises, and a renewed sense of urgency – the momentum for ambitious climate action seems to be growing again. In an open letter sent today to Prime Minister Trudeau and Canadian Premiers (leaders of the provinces and...
Continue reading 'Seizing Canada’s chance to lead'.
Losing friends fast: B.C. government officially opposes Kinder Morgan’s tar sands pipeline expansionYesterday the Government of British Columbia announced that it was officially opposing the expansion of the Kinder Morgan TransMountain tar sands pipeline. The province pointed to the company’s failure to provide enough information to satisfy all 5 of the conditions that the government had laid out in order for them to formally support the project...
Continue reading 'Losing friends fast: B.C. government officially opposes Kinder Morgan’s tar sands pipeline expansion'.
- As the COP21 climate negotiations go down to the wire in Paris tonight, the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said the talks have been the most complicated and difficult he has ever been involved in.
- For Immediate Release For further inquires please contact Stephen Kretzmann Steve@priceofoil.org, +1-202-497-1033 “Sun is Setting” on Tar Sands (Washington D.C.) The Alberta tar sands have become the posterchild of the high carbon future we cannot afford. Over recent years, unprecedented public concern has grown and now stands in the way of all major pipeline proposals...
Continue reading 'Oil Change International Response to Alberta Climate Announcement'.
- Today, ten Nobel Peace Prize Laureates wrote to President Obama to thank him for rejecting the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. “The decision you have made and the leadership you have shown by rejecting this pipeline marks a critical turning point,” the laureates write. “A dangerous fossil fuel driven future can no longer be considered...
Continue reading 'A Nobel Thank You for Obama'.
- Just a few days ago, Hurricane Patricia became the strongest hurricane ever measured as it made landfall on the western coast of Mexico. It hit as we approach the end of another year that is expected to break last year’s record as the hottest year of recorded temperatures. Climate change is here and now. And...
Continue reading 'Lockdown: the end of growth in the tar sands'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,681)
- Briefings (40)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,488)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (729)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (197)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (87)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence