Posts in oil sands
- Fort McMurray, the capitol of the Canadian tar sands industry, was under a “mandatory evacuation order” last night as a massive uncontrolled wildfire engulfed the city, forcing some 60,000 residents to flee.
- At the beginning of last week, environmentalists celebrated when the largest energy infrastructure company in North America, Kinder Morgan, pulled the plug on its controversial natural gas pipeline which had been proposed through parts of Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire, called NorthEast Energy Direct.
- Have you ever stopped to think about the moments that we were on the brink of something big? Something that we look back on and find it hard to imagine how it used to be? Cell phones are a good example, or smart phones – the iPhone has only been around since 2007. The internet...
Continue reading 'A dangerous calculus'.
Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transitionApril 7, 2016 For Immediate Release New pipelines from the Alberta to tidewater would do nothing to help Canada’s oil industry cope with low oil prices. Contrary to assertions made by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers today and Natural Resources Minister Carr on Tuesday in interviews, there is no longer a sound economic argument...
Continue reading 'Evidence shows new pipelines will not solve Alberta’s economic woes or support a clean energy transition'.
- It’s a small simple chart which has a huge significance for Canada and the climate.
- If you are paying attention to the tar sands pipeline conversations, you have no doubt heard industry proponents argue that Alberta needs another pipeline to get its oil to tidewater (i.e. the east or west coast of Canada in this case) in order to obtain the highest price possible for the product. But the fact...
Continue reading 'Tar sands and the myth of tidewater access'.
- This Thursday, President Obama will host Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau at a state dinner – the first such official dinner between the two nation’s leaders in almost two decades. The event signals not only a new relationship between the two neighbours (at least for a while longer), but also a shared set of values that...
Continue reading 'Betting on success: Cross-border action for a safer climate'.
- The winds of change have been blowing in Canada over the past year – with new governments, new promises, and a renewed sense of urgency – the momentum for ambitious climate action seems to be growing again. In an open letter sent today to Prime Minister Trudeau and Canadian Premiers (leaders of the provinces and...
Continue reading 'Seizing Canada’s chance to lead'.
Losing friends fast: B.C. government officially opposes Kinder Morgan’s tar sands pipeline expansionYesterday the Government of British Columbia announced that it was officially opposing the expansion of the Kinder Morgan TransMountain tar sands pipeline. The province pointed to the company’s failure to provide enough information to satisfy all 5 of the conditions that the government had laid out in order for them to formally support the project...
Continue reading 'Losing friends fast: B.C. government officially opposes Kinder Morgan’s tar sands pipeline expansion'.
- As the COP21 climate negotiations go down to the wire in Paris tonight, the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said the talks have been the most complicated and difficult he has ever been involved in.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,272)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,085)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (358)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (92)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (56)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (29)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence