Posts in oil sands
- In the lead up to the Canadian federal election, the economy is front and centre, but not in the way the incumbent government would have liked. The Conservatives have gone to great lengths to brand themselves as good economic managers, but with the Canadian dollar hitting its lowest point in over a decade, their election...
Continue reading 'How low can it go? Collapsing crude in election season'.
- The unimaginable happened last night in Alberta, Canada’s oil patch province. After decades of conservative rule, the left leaning New Democratic Party (NDP) swept the election, winning a decisive majority government. I think I speak for most Canadians when I say that if you had suggested that this was a possibility a year ago, or even...
Continue reading 'Political price tag: fossil fuel fall out in Alberta'.
- As the Albertan election heats up, the worsening economy – in large part caused by the plunge in oil prices – is taking centre stage in the province’s election campaign which comes to a head in early May.
- Any way you look at it, Teck's proposed tar sands mine, 'Frontier' is a bad investment.
- TransCanada's proposed Energy East tar sands pipeline faces massive opposition in Canada. A large demonstration is planned in Quebec City on April 11th.
- Yesterday, in a moment described as void of “drama or fanfare,” he vetoed legislation which would have forced approval of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, which would carry dirty tar sands oil Alberta to the Gulf Coast.
- In a sign that the oil price plunge is really beginning to bite, yesterday oil giant Royal Dutch Shell announced that the company is indefinitely postponing plans to develop a new tar sands mine in northern Alberta.
- A political show-down is now inevitable after the Senate yesterday passed a Bill to force approval of the politically toxic Keystone XL pipeline. In doing so, they have set up an bruising political clash with President Obama who is almost certain to veto the Bill. As Obama decides what to do, there will be many...
Continue reading '“Shameful” Senate Passes KXL Bill'.
- 2014: Oil lows and temperature highs. Scientists confirmed a couple of days ago that 2014 was the hottest year ever recorded, adding itself as one of the 14 hottest years on record, 13 of which have happened in the 21st century. If the coffin of climate change denial has space for any more nails, perhaps...
Continue reading 'Soaring temperatures and plummeting oil'.
- The tar sands industry lists market access as the number one threat to its future in a recent industry survey.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,102)
- Briefings (14)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (6)
- Featured (922)
- Industry Analysis (12)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (220)
- Newsletter (19)
- Press Releases (58)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (44)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (23)
- Separate Oil and State (133)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War