Posts in offshore drilling
- Mind the gap: Shell’s inadequate Arctic spill plan There are some things that are simply irreconcilable. And as hard as Big Oil and politicians try, they never will be. Take for instance climate action and arctic oil. Secretary Jewell at the Department of the Interior is in the final phases of considering Shell’s proposal to...
Continue reading 'Mind the gap: Shell’s inadequate Arctic spill plan'.
- Back in January, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) released the 2017-2022 Oil and Gas Leasing Program, its proposed 5-year plan for offshore U.S. oil and gas development that includes ten potential lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico, three in the Alaskan Arctic, and one in the Atlantic.
- The world is in a very big hole with climate change and when you're in a hole the first order of business should be to stop digging. Unfortunately, the Administration's Five Year Plan amounts to climate denial.
- As if the plummeting oil price was not bad enough, there was more bad news for the oil industry yesterday after President Obama signed a Presidential memorandum to protect the vast Bristol Bay in Alaska from future oil and gas drilling.
- A group of British MEPs, led by Conservative Vicky Ford, have been secretly trying to “dismantle” the EU's offshore oil and gas safety regulation
- First the good news. Over the weekend the French oil giant Total confirmed that the flare that had been burning on its abandoned Elgin rig in the North Sea had “extinguished itself.” The flare was causing real concern in case it ignited the escaping gas. With the flare out, Total has said it could begin...
Continue reading 'Gas Leak was “Impossible” Workers Told'.
- If you read any literature from the oil and gas industry it always argues that it is one of the best regulated industries in terms of safety and preparedness. This is an industry that understands the dangerous risks of drilling, prepares for it and mitigates to make sure accidents do not happen. If an accident...
Continue reading '“No Idea How to Fix” North Sea Gas Leak'.
- Some twenty five years ago when Amoco were exploring for oil offshore Somalia, the company was convinced that the waters of East Africa contained vast reserves of oil and gas. But its exploration was unsuccessful, Somalia was ripped apart by civil war and the waters of East Africa, once the tranquil domain of dhows and...
Continue reading 'Africa’s New Scramble for Gas'.
- Are we slowly edging towards another war over oil? Thirty years after Britain and Argentina last went to war over the Falklands, the diplomatic stakes are rising rapidly. This could just be a great game of diplomatic brinkmanship where neither side really wants a repeat of the conflict from decades ago. However this time at...
Continue reading 'Falklands: “Conflict is Over Oil”'.
- For a long time now many environmental organisations and front-line communities have warned about the dangers of drilling in the Arctic. Even before the Exxon Valdez scarred Alaska in 1989 people warned that drilling in the high north can have terrible consequences. And there was one major lesson from the Exxon Valdez: oil is much...
Continue reading 'Arctic “should remain off-limits to drilling”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,610)
- Briefings (37)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,414)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (2)
- Methodology (2)
- News (662)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (177)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (83)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (66)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence