Posts in nuclear
- This was an easy decision for FERC. Secretary Perry’s proposal was nothing more than a massive bailout for the coal and nuclear industries, so it’s no surprise it was resoundingly rejected by even the industry-friendly commission.
- Donald Trump’s attempts to promote so called "false solutions" at the UN climate conference in Bonn backfired badly yesterday, with Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, arguing that “promoting coal at a climate summit is like promoting tobacco at a cancer summit.”
- Rick Perry tells an African Oil Conference: "it’s in fossil fuels that you will see real growth"
- In the aftermath of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan many commentators, including some leading environmentalists argued that despite the inherent risks of nuclear power, it was still a necessary evil in the battle about climate change. They joined other pro-nuclear voices that have been growing steadily over the last few years in arguing that...
Continue reading 'Who Needs Oil or Nukes Anyway?'.
- Two years ago the oil price hit the floor at $33 a barrel. Today, on the back of the Libyan conflict, the price for Brent Crude is $116 a barrel. Two years ago, development of the Canadian tar sands was stalling with many projects being put on hold. According to the International Energy Agency, the...
Continue reading 'Two Disasters, One Conflict, One Bad Result'.
- For the last two decades the nuclear industry has undertaken one of the most sophisticated public relations exercises in order to try and show the world that the technology is safe, secure, clean and green. They have very nearly succeeded. We are on the cusp of a nuclear revival, driven largely because of climate change....
Continue reading 'Over 20% of Nuke Reactors on Fault Lines'.
- The unfolding nuclear emergency in Japan once again highlights the vulnerability of our centralised energy infrastructure to major disasters or even a potential terrorist attack. At the moment all efforts must go to containing and controlling the nuclear disaster at Japan’s Fukushima plant. When this is done, at some time serious questions need to be...
Continue reading '“The chain is as strong as the weakest link”'.
- So the UK Coalition government between the Tories and Liberal Democrats is 100 days old this week. While this political milestone is somewhat meaningless, it does give political commentators a moment to measure how things are going. When British Prime Minister David Cameron took power, he said he wanted the new coalition administration to be...
Continue reading 'The UK Coalition Ain’t Green, Its Dirty Brown'.
- Headline on the BBC’s flagship radio show, the Today programme at 8.00 AM this morning: 20-odd Greenpeace protestors have spent the night on the House of Commons to highlight the government’s lack of action on climate change. Next headline: a report by the Government’s own advisors on climate change says the government must do more...
Continue reading 'Protestors and Advisors Tell UK Gov to Act on Climate'.
- Welcome to 2009 – which promises to be a pivotal year in the debate on oil, energy and climate. We have already seen the problems of reliance on foreign oil and gas supplies, with Russia having its yearly spat with Ukraine over payment for gas, and tensions in the Middle East pushing up the price...
Continue reading 'Welcome to a Pivotal Year'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,665)
- Briefings (40)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,472)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (715)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (196)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (87)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence