Posts in Northern Gateway
- And so the battle lines have been drawn. On the one hand you have Canada’s federal government, ever eager to please Big Oil, which has just agreed to let Enbridge build its highly controversial $8 billion Northern Gateway pipeline from the toxic tar sands of Alberta to the rugged coast of British Colombia.
- The clock is ticking. Within the next ten days, the Canadian federal government is expected to announce its final decision on the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline, which will transport toxic tar sands from Alberta via British Colombia to the Pacific Coast.
- The string of oil by rail accidents in recent weeks has forced regulators in both Canada and the US to re-appraise the safety of oil by rail.
- The government of British Colombia has officially expressed its opposition to Enbridge’s controversial $6 billion Northern Gateway pipeline project, saying it fails to address the province's environmental concerns.
- First nations in British Colombia use the 24th Anniversary of the Exxon Valdez spill to warn against tar sands and shipping oil via tankers.
- These are not the words of a President talking about our addiction to oil, but an eleven year old fighting for our future. Obama’s second term inauguration speech yesterday made global headlines. But an eleven year old’s warning against the Northern Gateway pipeline in Canada is equally poignant and important.
- Over 3,000 people braved the rain and cold to protest against the Northern Gateway, which is planned to take the dirty tar sands from Alberta through the forests of British Columbia to the west coast of Canada.
- Analysts are starting to question the tar sands industry's "wildly optimistic" growth plans and some projects are slowing down. Here's why.
- Patrick Daniel knows he is in trouble. The CEO of Enbridge, the company that wants to build the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline from Alberta to British Colombia to export the dirty tar sands, admits that his opponents have “seized control of the debate”. And he is left playing catch up, trying belatedly to spin a...
Continue reading '“We’re facing a very strong, almost revolutionary movement”'.
- Since the beginning of the year there has been a concerted campaign by the oil industry and Canadian government to convince people that the debate over the Northern Gateway project will be hijacked by environmental groups. Instead of trying to demonise legitimate international organisations, the Canadian government should start listening to the voices of its...
Continue reading '“It would be the end of our history”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,977)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (804)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (122)
- Press Releases (38)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (131)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War