Posts in melting Arctic
- The Chukchi Sea stand-off between environmental and Alaska Native groups and Shell has taken another twist, with a new legal action to stop the oil company’s plans to drill in the region next summer. Yesterday’s challenge was filed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals a group of Native Americans and environmental organisations including the...
Continue reading 'Groups Fight “Irresponsible Shell” in the Arctic'.
- As a writer what I find interesting is the corruption of the language and the evidence by the sceptics. Yesterday I posted a blog that was based on Rolling Stone’s list of the people they believe are doing to the most to undermine the international and US domestic effort on climate change. Obviously the post...
Continue reading 'A Message from the Warmists…'.
- For many scientists and politicians a 2 degrees centigrade rise is the threshold which we cannot afford to cross. For example, the IPCC has long argued that climate impacts will significantly increase, if and when, global temperatures rise 2 degrees C or more above pre-industrial levels. Based on the science, the EU’s stated political objective...
Continue reading 'Poll: Majority of Scientists Believe 2C Rise Inevitable'.
- Iceland may be on the verge of a financial collapse but it may soon have another headache to deal with : being on the frontline of the new military and resource conflict of the Arctic. There is a going to be a rush to exploit the melting Arctic with shipping firms using new routes and...
Continue reading 'NATO’s New Frontier'.
- Yesterday on the blog I noted that “what was deemed impossible just months ago now seems highly probable or even normal”. OK, I was talking about the financial chaos and the volatile oil price, but the same could be said of climate change.
- Earlier this week, when BP announced record profits, it signaled it was going to invest more in oil sands. Yesterday, as Shell smashed analysts predictions and posted a 71% rise in profits to $10.9bn, it did exactly the opposite. Although Shell’s profits mean the company is awash with cash because of the high oil price...
Continue reading 'Despite Record Profits, Shell Halts Oil Sands Project'.
- More bad news on the climate. A study by British researchers has found that the Arctic sea ice thickness “plummeted” last winter, thinning by as much as half a metre in some regions. The team from University College London argue that the results provided the first definitive proof that the overall volume of Arctic ice...
Continue reading 'As Arctic Ice “Plummets,” JFK Speaks on Climate…'.
- Just as European leaders are faltering in their efforts to tackle climate change, a new survey of the science by WWF has found that the climate is changing much faster, stronger and sooner than even the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) forecast. According to WWF, research on climate change and its impacts published since...
Continue reading 'Climate Change Happening Faster, Stronger, Sooner'.
- If you think that the events of the last few weeks have been unprecedented, they are mild compared to the bumper roller-coaster ride you are in store for because of climate change. A set of possible future scenarios for 2030 envisages refugees in Antarctica, a virtual Olympics, and bio-warfare over water. Developed by the British...
Continue reading 'Welcome to 2030: Refugees in Antarctica, bio-warfare over water….'.
- For nearly twenty years anyone concerned about climate change has been worried about the millions and millions of tonnes of frozen methane locked in the permafrost slowly melting and being released into the atmosphere. It was seen as a nightmare scenario, known as a positive feedback mechanism, where the more the Arctic melted the more...
Continue reading 'The Methane Time Bomb Explodes'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,644)
- Briefings (39)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,450)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (696)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (189)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (86)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (69)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence