Posts in melting Arctic
- How can it be that as the evidence about climate change gets stronger, politicians like Trump seem to get more ignorant?
- Later today in Stockholm, a conference organised by the business group, the International Chamber of Commerce, examines “Bridging the Climate Change Policy Gap.”
- In a year of climate records being broken on an almost weekly basis, the Arctic is breaking more than most and now could be stuck in a spiral of what is known as "Arctic amplification".
- Scientists have been warning for years that due to climate change the North Pole might soon be ice free in the summer, well, guess what, today there is a pond there.
- In the fallout from the Durban conference, one of the debates I have heard is people debating what keeping warming to 2 degrees means, rather than letting warming increase to 3 degrees or even 4 degrees. One of the answers was that if warming goes above 2 degrees the chances of a runaway greenhouse effect...
Continue reading 'Methane Leaks Alarm Scientists'.
- Three years after Russian divers thrust a rust-proof flag into the seabed below the North Pole, the country’s Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, will attend the Arctic Forum in Moscow today. Putin wants to stake Russia’s claim in the increasingly frantic battle for control of the Arctic’s resources. Ironically the more the ice melts through climate...
Continue reading 'Russia Leads Arctic Oil Race'.
- The Chukchi Sea stand-off between environmental and Alaska Native groups and Shell has taken another twist, with a new legal action to stop the oil company’s plans to drill in the region next summer. Yesterday’s challenge was filed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals a group of Native Americans and environmental organisations including the...
Continue reading 'Groups Fight “Irresponsible Shell” in the Arctic'.
- As a writer what I find interesting is the corruption of the language and the evidence by the sceptics. Yesterday I posted a blog that was based on Rolling Stone’s list of the people they believe are doing to the most to undermine the international and US domestic effort on climate change. Obviously the post...
Continue reading 'A Message from the Warmists…'.
- For many scientists and politicians a 2 degrees centigrade rise is the threshold which we cannot afford to cross. For example, the IPCC has long argued that climate impacts will significantly increase, if and when, global temperatures rise 2 degrees C or more above pre-industrial levels. Based on the science, the EU’s stated political objective...
Continue reading 'Poll: Majority of Scientists Believe 2C Rise Inevitable'.
- Iceland may be on the verge of a financial collapse but it may soon have another headache to deal with : being on the frontline of the new military and resource conflict of the Arctic. There is a going to be a rush to exploit the melting Arctic with shipping firms using new routes and...
Continue reading 'NATO’s New Frontier'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (1)
- Blog Posts (3,462)
- Briefings (23)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (12)
- Featured (1,261)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (7)
- Key Votes (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (510)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (128)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (67)
- Research & Opinions (35)
- Resources (42)
- Separate Oil and State (142)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence