Posts in keep it in the ground
- A new study by Oil Change International has found that drilling for more new gas in Irish waters is not compatible with achieving the Paris Agreement to limit climate change. The report assesses the role of fossil gas in the energy system against the background of Ireland’s own decarbonization targets, and our obligations under the Paris Agreement.
- Ireland is on course to miss both its short-term climate commitments within EU legislation, and its long-term target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the energy sector by between 80 and 95 percent by 2050. Expanded gas extraction will only make it more difficult to achieve these goals, and must be avoided in order to achieve a safe climate future.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- Today, Pacific Island leaders at the UN climate negotiations delivered a clear, powerful message: ending the expansion of the fossil fuel industry must be on the agenda. One of the key themes on the sidelines of this year’s COP-23 climate conference in Bonn, Germany, has been the need to rein in fossil fuel production to...
Continue reading 'Pacific Island leaders to the world: It’s time to talk about fossil fuel production'.
- Why we can’t hide from the discussion about a managed decline of fossil fuel production. It is clear that the end of the fossil fuel era is on the horizon. Between plummeting renewable energy costs, uncharted electric vehicle growth, government commitments to decarbonization enshrined in the Paris agreement, and a growing list of fossil fuel...
Continue reading 'What’s the plan?'.
- Acknowledging the obvious fact that our future cannot be fossil fueled begins the game that will only be truly won when our public policies, our laws, our governments, and our social norms fully incorporate this truth.
- Unprecedented and “never-before-seen” impacts of climate change are all around us. From Hurricanes’ Harvey and Irma to massive flooding in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal to forest fires burning through the west coast of North America – climate change is here and now, and it is catastrophic. Fortunately, unprecedented and never-before-seen climate policy is also starting...
Continue reading 'Vive la France!'.
- France's new "Ecological Transitions" Minister says: "There will be no new exploration licences for hydrocarbons, we will pass the law this autumn”
- Canada doesn’t have its story straight on climate change – which makes it all the more important to push the country to be the real climate leader we need.
- In a hard hitting opinion piece in the Guardian today, Bill McKibben doesn’t mince words when it comes to Canada’s Prime Minister. Everyone seems to love Justin Trudeau. Charismatic, young, and rhetorically committed to a suite of progressive issues – compared to his counterpart to the south, he has a lot going for him. But,...
Continue reading 'Telling it like it is: the numbers behind Justin Trudeau’s climate failure'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,830)
- Briefings (45)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,639)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (871)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (229)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (98)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (83)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence