Posts in just transition
- Over 230 civil society groups from 44 countries released an open letter being sent to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, urging him to reject the pipeline and instead begin planning for a managed decline of fossil fuel production and a just transition for workers and impacted communities.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- A new Oil Change International report shows that, if Germany is truly committed to being a leader in meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement, it must lead the way with a rapid phaseout of fossil fuel production and finance.
- Why we can’t hide from the discussion about a managed decline of fossil fuel production. It is clear that the end of the fossil fuel era is on the horizon. Between plummeting renewable energy costs, uncharted electric vehicle growth, government commitments to decarbonization enshrined in the Paris agreement, and a growing list of fossil fuel...
Continue reading 'What’s the plan?'.
- The Lofoten Declaration calls for no new exploration or expansion of oil, coal, or gas, and a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For a good part of the past three decades, climate action has been planned, measured, judged, and implemented based on tackling emissions where they come out of the chimney or the...
Continue reading 'The Lofoten Declaration: A new bar for climate leadership'.
- Hundreds of Global Organisations Demand Supply-Side Action The Lofoten Declaration calls for a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For the text of the declaration and a full list of signatories, visit http://www.LofotenDeclaration.org. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 7 SEPTEMBER 2017 Contact: Hannah McKinnon, hannah [at] priceofoil.org Over 220 organizations from 55 countries have released a...
Continue reading 'Countries Must Tackle Fossil Fuel Production to Meet Climate Goals'.
Nobel Peace Laureates call on Norwegian Leadership Candidates to End Fossil Fuel Exploration and ExpansionAugust 29, 2017 CONTACT: Rachel Vincent, Rvincent [at] nobelwomensinitiative.org, +1 613 569-8400 ext. 113 Five Nobel Peace Laureates have written to Norwegian Prime Ministerial candidates, Erna Solberg and Jonas Gahr Støre, calling for Norwegian climate leadership and an end to fossil fuel exploration and expansion. The letter, sent from the Nobel Women’s Initiative in advance...
Continue reading 'Nobel Peace Laureates call on Norwegian Leadership Candidates to End Fossil Fuel Exploration and Expansion'.
The Sky’s Limit Norway: Why Norway Should Lead the Way in a Managed Decline of Oil and Gas ExtractionA new study released by Oil Change International, examines the role of Norwegian oil and gas production in a Paris-aligned global carbon budget.
- “We are on the cusp of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruption of transportation in history.” Within ten years, we may witness a radical technological shake up in the way we drive as people switch from petrol and diesel engines to self-drive electric vehicles.
- Our research has found that the carbon budget will be exhausted with current development and some currently-operating fossil fuel projects will need to be retired early in order to have a good chance of staying below the 2C limit.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,734)
- Briefings (42)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (15)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,537)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (4)
- Methodology (2)
- News (775)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (207)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (92)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (75)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence