Posts in Iraq
- As war rages in Iraq, and oil and gasoline prices rise, the impotence of the US oil boom is exposed.
- Is Iraq about to witness another war over oil?
- It wasn’t meant to be like this. After nearly a decade of war, chaos and bloodshed, the Iraqi oil industry was meant to be controlled by the bureaucrats and politicians from Baghdad. But Big Oil obviously has other ideas, and in the good old-fashioned way it will do deals with anyone it can so long...
Continue reading 'The New Iraqi Oil Rush'.
- Finally after 29 years, Tony Hayward, the former chief executive of BP, will sever all his ties with the oil giant. Although he resigned from being Chief Executive last year in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, Hayward has remained on board of its Russian joint venture, TNK-BP. But it has announced that he...
Continue reading 'Comeback Kid Hayward Severs Final Link With BP'.
- The oil industry watchdog PLATFORM has issued a report which exposes the extent to which the British oil giant BP has gained control over one of Iraq’s most lucrative oil fields, the super-giant Rumaila, near the Southern city of Basra. The report, “From Glass Box to Smoke Filled Room – How BP secretly renegotiated its...
Continue reading 'BP Accused of “Backroom Dealings” in Iraq'.
- All conflicts are about power and who will ultimately exert control over a people and resources. That is why there is a persistent niggle about western intervention in conflicts, and whether there is a humanitarian aim, or one simply about access to resources. The brutal truth is that regime change often comes with an agenda...
Continue reading 'Fuelling the Fire'.
- On the fifth anniversary of the Iraq war, a report from Oil Change International, entitled A Climate of War, analysed both the greenhouse gas emissions of the war and the costs involved in fighting that war rather than climate change. The report contained many shocking facts but a couple were that the projected total US...
Continue reading 'Obama’s War Machine Goes Green'.
- It is no coincidence that on “Tony’s Tour to Rebuild BP’s Battered Reputation”, its CEO Tony Hayward will visit China next week. BP may be getting a kicking in America, but China and Russia remain central to its plans. BP’s embattled chief executive has already met Igor Sechin, Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister, in Moscow on...
Continue reading 'BP’s Future Now Depends on Iraq'.
- In Washington this morning the big story is political reform of the healthcare system, whereas in London it is once again good –old fashioned political sleaze. Channel 4’s Dispatches programme working with the Sunday Times have carried out a great political sting. They set up a fake lobbying firm and approached various ex-Labour Ministers to...
Continue reading 'Tony Blair’s link with Iraq oil firm kept secret by watch-dog'.
- The headlines from BP’s Strategy presentation yesterday are all about how chief executive Tony Hayward promised to boost annual profits by $3bn over the next two or three years. In a frank admission, Hayward said that BP’s financial importance over the last few years had not been acceptable and had “some catching up to do.”
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (1)
- Blog Posts (3,505)
- Briefings (28)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (12)
- Featured (1,302)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (554)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (142)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (73)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (49)
- Separate Oil and State (142)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence