Posts in Gulf of Mexico
- As the US shale industry comes under increasing scrutiny for its environmental and health impact, it has emerged that the US has secretly approved fracking offshore leading to billions of gallons of waste-water to be dumped at sea.
- Oh dear, BP. Last week was a lesson in how corporate sponsorship of the arts backfires badly.
- Oil giant Shell is still struggling to clean up an estimated 90,000 gallons of oil spilt in to the Gulf of Mexico last Thursday. This latest spill has led to increased calls by local residents on President Obama not to open additional leases in the next Five Year Plan for the Gulf.
- Government assumes U.S. will fail climate goals in its 5-year offshore drilling proposal Oil Change International, Greenpeace USA April 2016 DOWNLOAD BRIEFING The recently released draft five-year plan for offshore oil and gas drilling is predicated on a failure to act on stated climate policy according to a new briefing note released by Oil Change International...
Continue reading 'Briefing: BOEM 5 Year Offshore Drilling Plan and the Climate'.
- A petition calling for an end to fossil fuel leasing on public lands and waters has garnered more than 100,000 signatures on the White House’s “We the People” online platform, surpassing the threshold necessary to trigger an official response from the White House.
- A small community of French-speaking Native Americans, who have lived on the low-lying Isle de Jean Charles in Louisiana for generations, have become America’s first official climate refugees.
- Once again the veterans of the Exxon Valdez have been proved right, after their warnings about the use of toxic dispersants during the subsequent Deepwater Horizon oil spill look to have been vindicated by new academic research.
- Oil giant BP will pay nearly $21 billion to settle its 5 year old dispute with US Federal and State authorities over the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which killed eleven workers, and spilt millions of gallons of oil across the Gulf of Mexico.
- Back in January, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) released the 2017-2022 Oil and Gas Leasing Program, its proposed 5-year plan for offshore U.S. oil and gas development that includes ten potential lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico, three in the Alaskan Arctic, and one in the Atlantic.
- In the months that followed BP’s devastating Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico in April 2010, one of the biggest mysteries was what happened to the 200 millions gallons of spewed black crude.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,305)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,117)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (383)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (98)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (59)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (32)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence