Posts in Gas
- 288 major investors worth more than $26 trillion USD in assets are warning that we aren’t on track to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and lack the tools needed to get there. In a public statement and policy brief released yesterday, the group which includes major pension funds, banks, asset managers, churches,...
Continue reading 'Major Investors Call for Paris-Aligned Energy Scenarios'.
- As California Governor Jerry Brown prepares to host a global summit aimed at rallying bolder climate action, a new report out today details how the state can and must initiate a managed phase-out of its own oil production to fulfill its commitment to the Paris climate goals.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 16, 2018 US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance US commercial banks are gearing up for their annual general meetings, starting as early as this week, but they’re not alone in making plans for AGM season. A growing number of concerned communities and organizations are planning a...
Continue reading 'US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance'.
- New Zealand joins the growing club of first movers tackling fossil fuel production! Who will be next? New Zealand joined a growing list of countries yesterday in announcing an end to fossil fuel exploration for the sake of the climate: Costa Rica, Ireland, France, and Belize are all working on plans to manage the decline of...
Continue reading 'Ready, set, go!'.
- The report finds that major private banks funneled $115 billion into extreme fossil fuels in 2017, an increase of 11% from 2016. The single biggest driver of the increase in financing came from the tar sands sector, where financing grew by 111% from 2016 to 2017.
- Rainforest Action Network, Oil Change International, Indigenous Environmental Network, Honor the Earth, BankTrack, and Sierra Club with 350.org, 350 Eugene, 350 Seattle, Amazon Watch, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development, Bank Information Center, Bold Alliance, Carrizo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas, Catskill Mountainkeeper, CEE Bankwatch, Center for Sustainable Economy, CHANGE, Christian Aid, Citizens Against LNG,...
Continue reading 'Banking on Climate Change: Fossil Fuel Finance Report Card 2018'.
- Today, Shell released a new scenario which outlines a possible energy future for the world involving massive negative emissions. In response, Greg Muttitt commented, "The lesson is simple: If you want to know how to fix climate change, don't ask a company that wants to sell you more oil and gas."
- Shell and its joint partner Exxon look set for further confrontation with the Dutch government over a series of small earthquakes that have plagued its operations for years in the north of the country.
- Calling this disaster of a plan simply an infrastructure plan doesn’t do the nightmare justice. It’s a Make Big Oil Happy plan. It’s a More Climate Disasters plan. It’s a Taxpayer Dollars in Oil Executives’ Wallets plan. It’s a Bankrupt Our Communities plan.
- "The additional ‘restrictions’ placed are woefully inadequate. The DEQ mandates the use of ‘Horizontal Directional Drilling’ to protect the Neuse River – yet this same drilling technique is so dangerous that it’s resulted in state and federal regulators shutting down construction of two major natural gas pipelines just this month."
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,802)
- Briefings (45)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,610)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (842)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (224)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (96)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (81)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence