Posts in G8
- Australia’s Climate Commission, the official body that advises the country’s government, has warned that 80 per cent of global fossil fuel reserves will have to stay in the ground, if we are to avoid dangerous climate change.
- Next week at the G8 meeting in Northern Ireland world leaders will focus on three main themes, summed up by 3 words beginning with T: trade, tax and transparency. But now you can add a fourth T to the list: tar sands.
- 23 May 2012 Ahead of upcoming meetings in June of the G20 in Mexico and the United Nations Rio + 20 Summit, the pace of activity around worldwide efforts to phase out subsidy reform is quickening. Last weekend, the G8 leaders reaffirmed their commitment to phase out fossil fuel subsidies in their statement coming out...
Continue reading 'Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform Gaining Momentum Internationally'.
- First some good news: The G8 has agreed for the first time agreed that it must limit worldwide temperature rises to no more than 2C, the minimum rise to prevent irreversible climate change. The richest industrialised countries also agreed for the first time that they should collectively cut emissions by 80% by 2050, and that...
Continue reading 'G8 Cooks Up a Good Political Fudge'.
- It is already being billed as the most chaotic G8 ever. And that’s before it has even started. The Italian host, Silvio Berlusconi is facing a political crisis at home over his private antics as well as questions about hosting the venue in an active earth quake zone. All the back-stage bickering threatens to undermine...
Continue reading 'Can politicians really tackle the greatest peril to humanity?'.
- Relying exclusively on the World Bank’s own figures, a new analysis shows World Bank Group lending to coal, oil and gas is up 94% from 2007, reaching over $3 billion. Coal lending alone has increased an astonishing 256% in the last year. This is the same World Bank that would like to lead – and...
Continue reading 'World Bank lending for coal up 256%…'.
- After a meeting today of the G8 and leading developing countries, the two groups finally said they shared a “joint vision” for action on climate change. But the statement made no mention of any specific target for cutting emissions, and gave no baseline date from when the cuts might begin. Yesterday the G8 called for...
Continue reading 'T. Boone to the Rescue…'.
- Its tough being a world leader. Imagine turning up at the G8 Summit in the midst of a one of the worst crises over food prices in many years and having to discuss the issue over an eight-course, 19-dish dinner prepared by 25 chefs. Whilst agonizing over the poor, they had to endure amuse-bouche of...
Continue reading 'G8 Agrees Deal to Halve Emissions by 2050'.
- Environment ministers from the G8 have urged their leaders to set a global target to halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, a small but vital step in the fight against climate change. But they stopped short of suggesting specific interim targets ahead of 2050, a key demand of developing countries in tough U.N.-led talks to...
Continue reading 'G8: Halve Emissions by 2050'.
- If you look at the headlines this morning you would be forgiven for thinking that yesterday we witnessed an historic deal on the climate. The words “historic”, “breakthrough” and “substantial” were used to describe the deal, that was “far more ambitious than many expected”. Tony Blair called it “a huge step forward” and that “This...
Continue reading 'Nowhere Near Far Enough'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,735)
- Briefings (42)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (15)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,538)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (4)
- Methodology (2)
- News (776)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (208)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (92)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (75)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence