Posts in fossil fuels
- As we approach the Global Climate Action Summit, hosted by Governor Brown later this year, the governor himself has an opportunity to show true leadership and announce new steps to limit fossil fuel extraction across the state. After all, the case for a managed phase out of fossil fuel production in California has now been clearly laid out by his own team.
- Calling this disaster of a plan simply an infrastructure plan doesn’t do the nightmare justice. It’s a Make Big Oil Happy plan. It’s a More Climate Disasters plan. It’s a Taxpayer Dollars in Oil Executives’ Wallets plan. It’s a Bankrupt Our Communities plan.
- The managed decline of fossil fuels has begun. Leaders around the world have a choice: Will they join France in moving forward in ending fossil fuel extraction and managing the decline of the fossil fuel industry? Or will they continue to deny full steam ahead off the cliff to climate disaster and economic disarray?
- Today, Pacific Island leaders at the UN climate negotiations delivered a clear, powerful message: ending the expansion of the fossil fuel industry must be on the agenda. One of the key themes on the sidelines of this year’s COP-23 climate conference in Bonn, Germany, has been the need to rein in fossil fuel production to...
Continue reading 'Pacific Island leaders to the world: It’s time to talk about fossil fuel production'.
- High level officials from Pacific Islands have called for a reining in of fossil fuel production in order to stay within the climate limits agreed to in Paris. They were joined in their call by civil society, indigenous, and academic voices. These calls echo the asks of the Lofoten Declaration, which affirms that it is the urgent responsibility and moral obligation of wealthy fossil fuel producers to lead in these efforts.
- “The IEA must help the world plan for success in reaching the Paris goals. That can’t happen until a real climate scenario forms the heart of World Energy Outlook.”
- A new Oil Change International report shows that, if Germany is truly committed to being a leader in meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement, it must lead the way with a rapid phaseout of fossil fuel production and finance.
- Why we can’t hide from the discussion about a managed decline of fossil fuel production. It is clear that the end of the fossil fuel era is on the horizon. Between plummeting renewable energy costs, uncharted electric vehicle growth, government commitments to decarbonization enshrined in the Paris agreement, and a growing list of fossil fuel...
Continue reading 'What’s the plan?'.
- WARNING: Use of this outlook for decision-making may cause sea level rise, flooding, droughts, extreme weather, food shortages and ecosystem collapse. Accepting the conclusions of the latest energy outlook, released this month by the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) means also accepting certain climate catastrophe. As we have noted before, the EIA has made a routine...
Continue reading 'The Hazards of EIA Energy Forecasts'.
- Hundreds of Global Organisations Demand Supply-Side Action The Lofoten Declaration calls for a managed decline of the fossil fuel sector. For the text of the declaration and a full list of signatories, visit http://www.LofotenDeclaration.org. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 7 SEPTEMBER 2017 Contact: Hannah McKinnon, hannah [at] priceofoil.org Over 220 organizations from 55 countries have released a...
Continue reading 'Countries Must Tackle Fossil Fuel Production to Meet Climate Goals'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,667)
- Briefings (40)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,474)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (716)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (196)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (87)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence