Posts in EU
- We have known for a long time that the Canadian government was colluding with the oil and gas industry over tar sands and its campaign against Europe’s Fuel Quality Directive (FQD). But new documents have come to light that reveal the extent of that collusion, especially between Big Oil and Natural Resources Canada, the Department...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Approved Canada’s FQD Strategy'.
- One of the dirtiest and diplomatically-brutal PR campaigns ever witnessed in Brussels has once again paid off. At the end of last week, the EU finally buckled to Canadian arm-twisting and delayed the introduction of the long awaited Fuel Quality Directive, which is designed to reduce carbon emissions from transport fuels. The European Council –...
Continue reading '“Bully-Boy Canada” Delays EU Action (Again)'.
- Oil companies operating in the North Sea could face an estimated $13 billion (Euros 10 billion) bill in light of the Elgin gas spill which could also seriously affect their credit ratings, according to rating agency Fitch. Total’s Elgin platform in the North Sea has been leaking gas since last month with some estimates that...
Continue reading 'The $13 Billion Bill for Elgin Gas Spill'.
- For over a year now I have been working on and off with Friends of the Earth Europe examining the dirty lobbying by the Canadians on the EU’s Fuel Quality Directive. Last summer we produced a report entitled “Canada’s dirty lobby diary”. The report revealed the extent of Canada’s lobbying – one of the most...
Continue reading 'Bully-Boy Canada Threatens EU (Again)'.
- In a decision that will both dismay and worry environmental campaigners and communities facing fracking across Europe, the European commission has concluded that existing laws are adequate to cover the controversial drilling technique. A new report undertaken for the Commission by the Belgian law firm Philippe & Partners, argues that there is no need for...
Continue reading 'EU: Fracking Laws Are Adequate, For Now'.
- For over two years now the Canadian and Albertan governments have engaged in one of the most extensive public relations campaigns ever seen at the EU. They have been trying to undermine European efforts to tackle climate change through the Fuel Quality Directive. They even set up a secret task force to push their pro-tar...
Continue reading 'Oh the Canadian hypocrisy..'.
- Last Friday, oil giant Royal Dutch Shell, announced that it had doubled third quarter profits to $7.2 billion. So where is this cash coming from? Let’s not forget that Shell has spent millions over the last fifteen years trying to remould its image from a dirty oil company implicated in human rights abuses to a...
Continue reading 'Shell “Threatens” the EU with Long-Term Exit'.
- Britain was joined by some Eastern European countries yesterday in backing Canada in its dirty fight to force the EU not to discriminate against the tar sands in the Fuel Quality Directive. A meeting of European environment experts yesterday had been expected to vote on a proposal by the European Commission to give a different...
Continue reading 'Britain Backs Canadian Bullying Over Tar Sands'.
- Earlier this year I worked with Friends of the Earth on a report that exposed the extent of Canadian lobbying on the Fuel Quality Directive (FQD), a landmark piece of legislation by the EU which hopes to reduce CO2 emissions from transport fuels. We detailed how there had been a huge number of lobbying events...
Continue reading 'Europe Labels the Tar Sands “Dirty”'.
- On a warm summer evening in July this year, in the prestigious and ornate College Garden of Britain’s historic Westminster Abbey, 250 guests listened to a five-piece band. The music was the start of an inaugural summer party organised by the public relations company Hanover Communications. The guest list for the party was impressive, including...
Continue reading 'Britain Backs Canada Over Tar Sands Fight'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,734)
- Briefings (42)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (15)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,537)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (4)
- Methodology (2)
- News (775)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (207)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (92)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (75)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence