Posts in Energy Security
- So its official: fracking causes earthquakes. Just minutes ago, a report published by the oil company Cuadrilla as to whether its drilling operations caused two “earthquakes” back in April and May, concluded that fracking was the “highly probable” cause of the small seismic events. Cuadrilla suspended fracking operations in June, over fears of a link...
Continue reading 'The Downsides of “Extreme Energy”'.
- Earlier today, twenty-two House Democrats sent a letter to President Obama expressing their support for the Keystone XL pipeline project. The letter was announced in a press release from TransCanada. Both the letter and the press release predictably recycle discredited arguments for Keystone XL on energy security and jobs. What TransCanada didn’t mention is that...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Buys Democratic Support for Keystone XL'.
- Oil Change International, Friends of the Earth, the Other 98% and DeSmogBlog have mapped the tangled web of corruption around the Keystone XL pipeline. Check it out and then click the image to send your letter demanding that President Obama reject the lobbyists and say no to Keystone XL.
- Oil Change International Research Director Lorne Stockman joined dozens of speakers today in testifying before the State Department in Washington, DC on the Keystone XL pipeline. You can download and listen to a recording of Lorne’s testimony. The proposed 1,700 mile pipeline would bring up to 900,000 barrels per day of dirty tar sands crude...
Continue reading 'State Department Hears Public Comment on Keystone XL'.
- Tomorrow sees the final public hearing in the national interest determination process surrounding the controversial Keystone XL pipeline. The proposed 1,700 mile pipeline would bring up to 900,000 barrels per day of dirty tar sands crude to the Gulf Coast from Alberta, Canada if approved by the State Department. The hearing will take place in...
Continue reading 'The Keystone XL Energy Security Sham'.
- To hear some people talk about it, Keystone XL is the answer to many of America’s current woes. It will free America of the scourge of foreign oil dependence, create hundreds of thousands of jobs, weaken the enemies that threaten the union, and bring on the good times once again. While the good times may...
Continue reading 'Myth or Miracle? Are Keystone XL jobs and energy security claims exaggerated?'.
- Oil Change International released a report yesterday asserting that much of the oil to be delivered by the proposed Keystone XL pipeline will be refined into diesel and exported. We seem to have touched a raw nerve with some people as we have been accused of all sorts, from untruths to being unfamiliar with the...
Continue reading 'Oil markets and pipelines: the big picture'.
- Later today, several hundred New Yorkers, backed by at least 40 environmental organisations, are heading to attend a rally on Capitol lawn in Albany to protest against the dirty drilling technique of hydraulic fracturing or “fracking.” Among the speakers will be Josh Fox, director of the award-winning anti-gas industry documentary “Gasland.” Opponents of fracking have...
Continue reading 'Fracking Emissions “Worse than Coal”'.
- The Republicans rolled out their 2012 Budget yesterday, under the catchy title of “the path to prosperity”. In fact you could have called it the “well-trodden road to ruin”. The budget by House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan will be seen by political commentators as raising the stakes for the upcoming spending battle between the GOP...
Continue reading 'The well-trodden road to ruin..'.
- The president presented some encouraging words at Georgetown University today when he spoke about the urgent need to address America’s energy security. As he so often does, he correctly identified the problem the nation faces in continuing to rely on dirty forms of energy that pollute and cause climate change and particularly on oil, the...
Continue reading 'Obama and energy security: another missed opportunity'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,609)
- Briefings (37)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,413)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (2)
- Methodology (2)
- News (661)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (177)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (83)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (66)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence