Posts in energy policy
- Tomorrow, President Obama will make a major speech on climate. Its time to say no to KXL and ditch the "All of the Above" energy plan
- A report from HSBC suggests BP, Shell and Norway’s Statoil could lose some 40 and 60 per cent of their market value if “unburnable carbon” scenarios are put in place.
- To facilitate Britain's “Dash for Gas”, the Chancellor George Osborne is expected to give the green light to widespread fracking across the UK and will consult on giving lucrative tax breaks to the fracking industry.
- Later today as part of Obama’s “All of the Above” energy strategy, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management will hold an oil and gas lease sale that will make more than 20 million offshore acres available to oil and gas drilling.
- The fourth annual Canada-EU Energy Summit was held yesterday in London at Canada House in London. The event was disrupted by protestors angered at Canada’s aggressive lobbying to undermine European legislation.
- Remember how scared everyone was of Big Oil in this election? Who’s scared now? The top candidate backed by the fossil fuel industry – big oil, gas and coal – just lost the election. The latest data (October 15) from the Center for Responsive Politics, further refined and analyzed by Oil Change International, indicates that...
Continue reading 'Big Oil bet big…and lost.'.
- This morning the last two protesters from the “No Dash for Gas” group occupying the chimney of a huge gas power station in the UK intend to end their protest having shut the new power station down for a week. They and other protesters who have already come down have been protesting against the UK...
Continue reading '“No Dash for Gas” Ends Protest'.
- The US could soon replace Saudi Arabia as the world’s leading oil producer, just as the Saudis promise to go green
- All the talk of Hurricane Isaac and the RNC has so far failed to notice the gaping hole appearing in what is not only the Romney/Ryan energy platform but also the platform of the entire North American oil and gas industry. And frankly, while politicians might be forgiven (and I mean might) for not fully...
Continue reading 'Fires, storms and the energy independence myth'.
- If you believe the press reports, you’d think that the oil industry was hurting of late, what with the headlines coming out of the most recent quarterly earnings reports saying things like, “Exxon and Shell Earnings Disappoint,” and “Occidental quarterly profit lower”, and “Chevron 2nd-Quarter Profit Off 6.8%; Upstream Earnings Fall”. These headlines paint a...
Continue reading 'Oil companies continue to profit at the expense of our future'.