Posts in Corruption
- Nigeria was once Shell’s jewel in its crown. But for so long it has been the thorn in its side. Whether its pollution, collusion, corruption, bribery or false accounting, Shell’s Nigerian subsidiary has been accused of them all. So many of the group’s problems keep coming back to Nigeria. The company settled out of court...
Continue reading 'Shell to Pay $30 Million to Settle Nigeria Bribery Case'.
- As the 17 year old lawsuit between oil giant Chevron and the Ecuadorian Indians draws to a close, the plaintiffs are arguing that they have uncovered damning new evidence that could seriously undermine the oil company’s legal case. Texaco drilled for oil in Ecuador from 1964 to 1992, working in partnership with the state-run company...
Continue reading 'Secret Recordings Reveal Chevron “Cooked” Trial Evidence'.
- The London-based environmental group Platform was the first group to analyse the oil contracts in Iraq called Production Sharing Agreements (PSAs), which gave lucrative terms to the international oil companies. Now they have turned their attention to the rapidly expanding oil scene in Central Africa in Uganda. Uganda is said to be sitting on the...
Continue reading 'Flaws in Ugandan Oil Boom Exposed'.
- One of the issues that Oil Change has tried to highlight is how oil money corrupts and corrodes politics. Big Oil has always had hordes of cash to spend to influence legislation on energy and climate. Big Oil always expects to get its way as its pockets are deeper than its opponents. For years it...
Continue reading 'How Corporate Money Corrupted the Climate Bill'.
- So ends a political era. The Alaskan senator Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator in history and a force on Capitol Hill for decades, yesterday finally conceded the re-election race to his Democratic rival, Mayor Mark Begich. This brings us to the end of the “Uncle Ted” era in Alaska, when billions of Stevens’s “pork-barrel”...
Continue reading 'Good Riddance, Uncle Ted'.
- It reads like something from a sordid novel rather than the government’s dealings with the oil industry. But an extensive investigation has found an extraordinary cozy relationship between the government and the industry. Officials in charge of collecting billions of dollars worth of royalties from oil and gas companies accepted gifts, steered contracts to favored...
Continue reading 'Sex, Drugs, Rock and Oil …'.
- Ever fancied having you own oil supply on tap? Nigerian security forces have discovered a pipeline they say was used by a powerful Niger Delta gang leader to steal petroleum products from a state oil refinery. The pipeline runs from the refinery in Port Harcourt through a secret camp in the creeks of Rivers state...
Continue reading 'Nigerian Rebel Pipeline Uncovered'.
- Nigeria “wasted” 30 years of oil income, the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Dominique Strauss-Kahn said yesterday as he warned the country against the dangers of neglecting the non-oil sectors of its economy. “Nigeria has had 40 years of oil but for the first 30 years it wasted the proceeds from that oil,”...
Continue reading 'IMF: Nigeria ‘Wasted’ 30 Years of Oil Income'.
- Although Nigeria passed legislation last year establishing an independent body the to make sure that oil majors pay the necessary royalties and taxes, anti-corruption activists are saying the law is not strong enough to fully clean the industry. Under the law – the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) – oil companies are required to...
Continue reading 'Nigeria: Oil Transparency Remains “Elusive”'.
- A fascinating story tucked away in the Gulf press. An anonymous Iraqi MP claims that some U.S. companies have offered a $5 million bribe to each Iraqi MP for passing Iraq’s controversial oil and gas law which has been stalled in the parliament for more than a year.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,713)
- Briefings (42)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,518)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (755)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (203)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (89)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (71)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence