Posts in Corruption
- According to multiple sources the State Department will issue its long awaited Final Environmental Impact Statement on the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline later today. The early spin today is that “environmentalists will be disappointed”. But consider the source. Last week, Jack Gerard, the head of the American Petroleum Institute, told Reuters that “It’s our...
Continue reading 'What did Big Oil know and when did they know it?'.
- A game of political musical chairs has set off a transition that will hand Big Oil the keys to the influential Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. What's worse, the whole thing could have been avoided.
- The big energy companies are rigging the market to make excessive profits, if the claims of a key whistleblower are to be believed
- This is a guest post from Phil Mattera, over at the always vital Dirt Digger’s Digest: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission often behaves like a watchdog with no teeth, but it has just stood up to intense pressure from big business and finally approved two rules that will shine a light on dealings between...
Continue reading 'Extraction and Disclosure'.
- Reports coming out of Nigeria this morning are that the country’s President Goodluck Jonathan has sacked senior oil officials from the state oil company NNPC in the interests of “greater transparency and accountability.” Jonathan has come under intense pressure to clean up the country’s oil industry. We have known for a while that theft and...
Continue reading 'Nigeria Loses $1 Billion a Month in Oil Theft'.
- As thousands gather around the White House tomorrow to urge President Obama to reject the Keystone XL pipeline, let’s take a minute to look at some of the ways the project has garnered political support so far. Because in the end this is a political decision. A yes indicates support for Big Oil and the...
Continue reading 'How to buy a pipeline? Buy Congress.'.
- Tullow Oil is “approaching the finishing line” in talks with the Ugandan government to resolve a tax dispute that has held up plans to bring in new partners to exploit its oil reserves there. Tullow expects to reach an agreement to sell a share of its Uganda assets to Total SA and China National Offshore...
Continue reading 'Was Ugandan Oil Deal “Corrupt”?'.
- Fifteen years after the execution of Nigerian playwright and activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, new compelling evidence has surfaced that suggests that the Nigerian military killed the four Ogoni elders that Saro-Wiwa was later accused of murdering. The new evidence also reveals that the soldier’s commander, the notorious Lt Col Okuntimo, who was implicated in murder and...
Continue reading 'Saro-Wiwa Was Framed, New Evidence Shows'.
- Question: Can you build a $15 billion natural gas plant in a remote, rural, deeply impoverished and corrupt country and not expect any social or environmental problems. The answer is don’t be silly. So the news last December that Exxon Mobil and several other energy companies were planning the largest ever foreign-investment project in Papua...
Continue reading '“The risk of it being a mess is high”'.
- Nigeria was once Shell’s jewel in its crown. But for so long it has been the thorn in its side. Whether its pollution, collusion, corruption, bribery or false accounting, Shell’s Nigerian subsidiary has been accused of them all. So many of the group’s problems keep coming back to Nigeria. The company settled out of court...
Continue reading 'Shell to Pay $30 Million to Settle Nigeria Bribery Case'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,957)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (788)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (111)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (130)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War