Posts in Coal
- The embedded carbon emissions from the oil, gas, and coal in currently operating fields and mines, if they run to the end of their projected lifetimes, will take us just beyond the Paris Agreement’s 2C warming limit, and even further from the goal of 1.5C, a new study has found.
- A new study released by Oil Change International, in partnership with 14 organizations from around the world, scientifically grounds the growing movement to keep carbon in the ground by revealing the need to stop all new fossil fuel infrastructure and industry expansion.
- There’s a clear logic to the global challenge of addressing climate change: when you’re in a hole, stop digging. If we’re serious about tackling the global climate crisis, we need to stop exploring for, developing, and ultimately producing and consuming fossil fuels.
- Today’s ruling is an important step, but the work continues to stop spending taxpayer dollars to prop up dirty industries. It’s time we stop funding fossils.
- In the past three years, the North American and European commercial and investment banking sector has engaged in fossil fuel financing practices that are deeply at odds with the global climate agreement reached at COP 21 last December.
- That the White House was forced to officially respond to this petition is yet another indication of the growing power of the Keep It In The Ground movement.
- Yesterday Australian climate activists blockaded the world's largest coal port and shut it down for several hours, leading to the arrest of 66 people. The protest managed to stop millions of tonnes of coal being exported for a whole day in a hugely significant protest.
- A petition calling for an end to fossil fuel leasing on public lands and waters has garnered more than 100,000 signatures on the White House’s “We the People” online platform, surpassing the threshold necessary to trigger an official response from the White House.
- Just last year, Canada’s Liberal Party campaigned on a promise to start winding down subsidies to fossil fuel producers. Now that they’ve been elected on that platform, Justin Trudeau’s government faces its first real test on fossil fuel subsidies in the 2016 budget that will be released next week. You can call on the government to...
Continue reading 'Ending Canada’s billions in fossil fuel subsidies'.
- If a climate test were to be applied to this bill, there’s little doubt it would fail.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,339)
- Briefings (19)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (10)
- Featured (1,148)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (401)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (101)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (60)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (34)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence