Posts in climate change impacts
- If we didn’t know it already we do now. Climate change is bad for your kids. That was the message yesterday, when the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) published a policy statement and technical report on the effects of climate change on children and concluded that they are “uniquely vulnerable” to the threat.
- If there is one name synonymous with climate science it is Dr. James Hansen, seen as the Godfather of the science. It was Hansen, the former NASA scientist, who famously told Congress back in 1988 to “stop waffling” because “the greenhouse effect is here and is affecting our climate now.”
- When Californian Governor Jerry Brown announced wide ranging water restrictions for California last week, the news went global.
- The "clock is ticking". "Little time left". The "Starkest Warning Yet". The "Final Warning". Just four of the headlines from around the world of yesterday's UN report on climate change.
- Slowly but surely the world’s banks are waking up to the dangers of climate change and the idea that carrying on investing in fossil fuels might be a risky and reckless idea.
- Scientists at the University of California and NASA are convinced that the melting of the West Antarctic ice sheet has “passed the point of no return” and parts of it are rapidly melting.
- It has taken some 300 lead scientists three years to collate the evidence. Many other scientists collaborated in the research. Their combined efforts stretch to 2,600 pages, contained in 32 volumes, and have been signed off by hundreds of officials from 115 countries.
- More and more people in the UK believe that the severe flooding which has affected large swathes of Southern England from the Somerset levels in the west to the affluent towns and villages in the Thames valley near London, are the result of climate change.
- For once the words of a politician were extremely bold and clear. The warning was brutally stark. In a keynote speech on climate change in Indonesia, Secretary of State, John Kerry, likened global warming to a weapon of mass destruction and dismissed climate sceptics as members of the “Flat Earth Society”.
- They say history never repeats itself, but a year ago at the United Nations climate talks in Doha, a typhoon hit the Philippines, killing hundreds of people and leaving an estimated quarter of million people homeless.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,151)
- Briefings (16)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (6)
- Featured (977)
- Industry Analysis (16)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (265)
- Newsletter (23)
- Press Releases (70)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (49)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (27)
- Separate Oil and State (135)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War