Posts in climate change impacts
- The news from over the weekend that President-elect Donald Trump is expected to nominate Rex Tillerson, the chairman and chief executive of Exxon, the world’s largest private oil company as Secretary of State, is a clear sign that we face an unprecedented battle against the environmental movement in the years to come.
- Later today in Stockholm, a conference organised by the business group, the International Chamber of Commerce, examines “Bridging the Climate Change Policy Gap.”
- As the UN COP22 climate talks enter the second week in Marrakesh, 400 civil society organisations, from over 60 countries, are calling on world leaders to put an immediate halt to new fossil fuel development and pursue a rapid transition to renewable energy.
- First the good news. After decades of denial, delay and obfuscation by the fossil fuel industry, an historic agreement on climate change, which was first signed in Paris last year, enters into force today.
- The history of Big Oil’s climate denial campaign is littered with slightly progressive sounding front groups which have tried to give the impression that the industry cares about climate change.
- The world’s largest listed oil company, Exxon, announced on Friday it was going to have to cut its reported proved reserves by just under a fifth. It is the biggest reserve revision in the history of the oil industry.
- Earlier this week it was announced that we had entered a new era of “climate change reality”, with scientists warning that carbon dioxide has permanently passed the symbolic threshold of 400 ppm.
- It is sixty years ago this year that the oil giant, Shell, first found oil at Oloibiri in Ijawland in the Niger Delta, after fourteen years of searching.
- Last night 10 climate activists, support team members, and videographers spent the night in jail across four US states after five of them shut down all the tar sands pipelines crossing the Canada-U.S. border.
- Activists from Black Lives Matter have shut down London’s City airport this morning in a protest about environmental racism and climate change and to protest against the UK's environmental impact on black people.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,404)
- Briefings (21)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (13)
- Factsheets (12)
- Featured (1,206)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (7)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (460)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (118)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (63)
- Research & Opinions (35)
- Resources (40)
- Separate Oil and State (140)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence