Posts in climate change impacts
- In a year of climate records being broken on an almost weekly basis, the Arctic is breaking more than most and now could be stuck in a spiral of what is known as "Arctic amplification".
- Nearly every week a new record is being broken on climate. And now scientists are predicting that we could heat up the earth by a totally unsustainable 10C if all fossil fuels are burnt.
- Oh dear, BP. Last week was a lesson in how corporate sponsorship of the arts backfires badly.
- The fire that the locals call “the beast” is back with a vengeance. Last week, the wildfire that ravaged parts of the tar sands town of Fort McMurray in Alberta seemed to have done its worst. But in recent days it has returned and headed to the tar sands camps north of the town, travelling at around 30-40 metres per second.
- Fort McMurray, the capitol of the Canadian tar sands industry, was under a “mandatory evacuation order” last night as a massive uncontrolled wildfire engulfed the city, forcing some 60,000 residents to flee.
- History will be made today at a ceremony in New York when countries start to formally sign the Paris climate agreement, which was initially approved in December last year.
- “Do we really care so little about the Earth on which we live that we don’t wish to protect one of its greatest wonders from the consequences of our behaviour?”
- It is no longer a question of "if" the unthinkable happens, but a question of "when". And the “when” could happen sooner than you think. For decades now climate scientists have been worried about what happens if the vast West Antarctic ice sheet melts.
- Two of Australia’s most iconic marine national treasures are under threat from climate change and fossil fuel extraction.
- The environmental community is mourning the death of the award-winning photographer, Gary Braasch, who died yesterday doing a job he loved. He was snorkelling at the northern end of the Great Barrier Reef documenting the effects of climate change.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,290)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,100)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (372)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (93)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (58)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (31)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence