Posts in climate change impacts
- More and more people in the UK believe that the severe flooding which has affected large swathes of Southern England from the Somerset levels in the west to the affluent towns and villages in the Thames valley near London, are the result of climate change.
- For once the words of a politician were extremely bold and clear. The warning was brutally stark. In a keynote speech on climate change in Indonesia, Secretary of State, John Kerry, likened global warming to a weapon of mass destruction and dismissed climate sceptics as members of the “Flat Earth Society”.
- They say history never repeats itself, but a year ago at the United Nations climate talks in Doha, a typhoon hit the Philippines, killing hundreds of people and leaving an estimated quarter of million people homeless.
- Whether the scientists or oilmen win the defining battle of our time – how and when to wean ourselves off fossil fuels - will shape what this world looks like for our children and grandchildren.
- The most authoritative report on climate change ever compiled, the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), is set to be published this week. Expect a massive backlash from sceptics and deniers.
- New scientific report by researchers in the UK has concluded that climate change threatens global food security by spreading crop pests towards the Poles at around 3km every year.
- Scientists have been warning for years that due to climate change the North Pole might soon be ice free in the summer, well, guess what, today there is a pond there.
- If Keystone is the key to the next phase of the development of the tar sands, it is key to unlocking carbon we cannot afford to burn.
- Australia’s Climate Commission, the official body that advises the country’s government, has warned that 80 per cent of global fossil fuel reserves will have to stay in the ground, if we are to avoid dangerous climate change.
- Representatives that signed the latest pro-Keystone XL letter received roughly 250% more money from oil and gas interests compared to those Representatives who did not sign the letter.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2807)
- Briefings (7)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (635)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (6)
- Press Releases (21)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (28)
- Research & Opinions (29)
- Resources (12)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (1)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War