Posts in climate change impacts
- Fort McMurray, the capitol of the Canadian tar sands industry, was under a “mandatory evacuation order” last night as a massive uncontrolled wildfire engulfed the city, forcing some 60,000 residents to flee.
- History will be made today at a ceremony in New York when countries start to formally sign the Paris climate agreement, which was initially approved in December last year.
- “Do we really care so little about the Earth on which we live that we don’t wish to protect one of its greatest wonders from the consequences of our behaviour?”
- It is no longer a question of "if" the unthinkable happens, but a question of "when". And the “when” could happen sooner than you think. For decades now climate scientists have been worried about what happens if the vast West Antarctic ice sheet melts.
- Two of Australia’s most iconic marine national treasures are under threat from climate change and fossil fuel extraction.
- The environmental community is mourning the death of the award-winning photographer, Gary Braasch, who died yesterday doing a job he loved. He was snorkelling at the northern end of the Great Barrier Reef documenting the effects of climate change.
- Not long into the New Year and already a new warning about climate change and rising sea levels.
- If we didn’t know it already we do now. Climate change is bad for your kids. That was the message yesterday, when the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) published a policy statement and technical report on the effects of climate change on children and concluded that they are “uniquely vulnerable” to the threat.
- If there is one name synonymous with climate science it is Dr. James Hansen, seen as the Godfather of the science. It was Hansen, the former NASA scientist, who famously told Congress back in 1988 to “stop waffling” because “the greenhouse effect is here and is affecting our climate now.”
- When Californian Governor Jerry Brown announced wide ranging water restrictions for California last week, the news went global.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,252)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (11)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,071)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (342)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (86)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (55)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (29)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence