Posts in Chevron
- This weekend, thousands of community members, movement leaders, and allies marched to the Chevron refinery in Richmond, California. Our demands were simple: Stop polluting our community, wrecking our climate, and buying off our democracy.
- Despite overwhelming community resistance and evidence of groundwater pollution, the shale gas revolution continues apace. “In the middle of the last decade”, writes Ed Crooks in today’s special report on energy in the Financial Times, “it looked as if the end of the Oil Age was in sight in the Americas. Not imminently, perhaps, but...
Continue reading 'Shale Gas Revolution Goes Global'.
- The fire that engulfed Chevron’s refinery late on Monday night in Richmond, California may now be extinguished, but worrying questions remain about the company’s ongoing safety record at the refinery. The fire caused a huge toxic black cloud to sweep over the city and other parts of the San Francisco Bay area. In the direct...
Continue reading 'Locals Vent Anger After Chevron Refinery Fire'.
- The political action committees (PACs) of five of the biggest players in the oil and gas industry donated just over $500,000 to Congressional incumbents and candidates during the first quarter of 2012. Public Campaign has just released new analysis of data filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC). Some key findings: Exxon’s PAC was the biggest...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Donates over $500,000 to Congress in First Quarter of 2012'.
- Earlier today President Obama challenged Congress to either stand with Big Oil, or stand with the American people. A vote on legislation introduced by Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) that would have eliminated over $2.4 billion in annual tax deductions to the top 5 oil companies was subsequently defeated a few hours later. Once again Congress...
Continue reading 'Senate Fails to Cut Favors to Big Oil, Once Again'.
- Chevron has been found guilty again. Yesterday, an Ecuadorian appeals court upheld a ruling that the oil giant should pay US$18 billion in damages for polluting the Amazon. It was last February that a local judge had ordered Chevron to pay US$8.6 billion in damages, but the amount was doubled to US$18 billion because Chevron...
Continue reading 'Appeal Court Upholds Chevron Guilty Verdict'.
- Chevron is at the center of a scandal over the oil spill in the offshore Campos Basin Frade field about 230 miles from the coast of northeast Rio de Janeiro. Originally the company said that the spill was natural seepage from the field. Well, no, it appears it was not. The scandal began to unravel on...
Continue reading 'Oil Spill off Rio Sets Chevron at the Center of Scandal'.
- Last week it was Shell’s AGM and its turn to face the wrath of shareholders and activists for its appalling environmental record. This week its Chevron’s turn with its AGM tomorrow. Protests kicked off in dramatic style yesterday, when activists from Amazon Watch and Rainforest Action Network rappelled from the Richmond Bridge in the San...
Continue reading 'Chevron Guilty: Clean Up the Amazon!'.
- The Yes Men, Rainforest Action Network, and Amazon Watch caught Chevron by surprise last week by one-upping the planned release of Chevron’s “We Agree” ad campaign. The groups sent a fake press release to media outlets hours ahead of the Chevron release and put up a spoof website on the company’s behalf. The release spoke...
Continue reading 'Change Chevron'.
- Late last week, the British government gave the goahead for the American oil company, Chevron to start drilling a deepwater exploratory well as part of its Lagavulin project in the waters north of the Shetland Islands. In a highly controversial move, it is the first time the new British Coalition government has granted permission for...
Continue reading 'Chevron Safety Inspections Could be Compromised'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,958)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (789)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (112)
- Press Releases (35)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (130)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War